Fuqboi

RUBY's POV

A/N: Listen to the Hey Violet song with the same name as this chapter title! It's awesome xD

"I don't even know how to get a job," I groan as I drop my head in my hands. "And I'm sorry, you're 12."

"While you're not wrong," Helen, Alex's little sister replies, "I do know how to use Google. Besides, I get out more than you do. I could always come across a 'Help Wanted' sign and look into it later."

"I just don't understand who would hire an unstable 17 year-old with blue hair."

"Hot Topic," Helen giggles. She types something into my laptop, her fingers tapping the keys faster than I can follow.

Confused? I'll explain.

I need a job. I was helping Mrs. Gaskarth, as an assistant of sorts, over the summer, but her office doesn't allow minors to work there after labor day. And I'm 17. That job helped me have money so I wouldn't rely on Mrs. G for everything, but it's over and I need a real job. You know, one that has insurance or whatever.

Alex is getting more worried about my 'depressive' episode things. He almost asked his mother if he could do homeschooling that way he could keep an eye on me; could make sure I'm okay all day. I kept him from asking, but it really made me want to get this looked into. Maybe give Alex some peace of mind.

"Maybe you could get some Work-From-Home type of job?", Helen suggests. "What are you good at?"

"Uh... Nothing?"

"Ha ha," Helen rolls her eyes. "You're great at writing. You could try getting a job working for a newspaper or a magazine or something that you can write from here."

That would be cool. And I do love writing. "But even with the work-from-home thing, I don't think anyone is going to hire someone as young as I am."

"There is bound to be somewhere that employs minors," Helen insists. "Just let me keep looking before you give up."

I give in quietly and check my phone, the screen occupied by messages from Alex & Jack's group chat.

Alex (is) Agurl: Back to school shopping sucks
Jackass: your mom
Alex (is) Agurl: What are you 12?
Jackass: and a half
Jackass: where's Ruby?
Alex (is) Agurl: At home w/ Helen
Alex (is) Agurl: why?
Jackass: just wondering
Jackass: usually she would of replied by now
Meee: Would HAVE you idiot
Alex (is) Agurl: Hah
Meee: Pick up some Hot Pockets while you're out
Jackass: you guys sound like a old married couple
Jackass: ew
Meee: I like Hot Pockets and he's going to Wal-Mart?
Meee: Bye boys.

I drop my phone into my laptop and look up at Helen. She's still using my laptop, biting her lip as she reads.

"Find something?", I question perkily. 

"Well, kind of."

"What do you mean?"

"It pays really well, and you would probably love the occupation," she rambles on without answering my question.

"Then why do you seem so nervous about telling me what it is?", I ask warily.

"It's at a club..." I open my mouth to pretest, but Helen holds her hands up in defense. "Hear me out. They're looking for a DJ. You love music, you have like, 3,000 songs on-hand."

"3,928," I mumble. "But do you know how busy crowded clubs are? And I'm underage!"

"You aren't going to be drinking, nor selling alcohol. You go in through the back door, stand at the turn tables, make money, and leave," Helen explains enthusiastically.