chapter 5

A week. It had been a week since mine and Brad’s hangout in that little indie café he had introduced me to and guess what? He has yet to text me! I know I shouldn’t be acting like this over a guy with a girlfriend but I must admit that it hurt. The fact that he said he would text me and didn’t. It’s just plain rude and frankly, I won’t stand for it. But there was nothing else I could do, I didn't have his number to text him so it was all up to him and whether or not he wanted to contact me. I guess I would have to let fate—

“Frey, sweetie?” My mum interrupted my thoughts, saving me from further confusion and distraught. “I was hoping you could make a run to the corner shop for me? I’ve ran out of eggs. Also get us some crisp too if you have enough change left over,” she said as she handed me a few bills.

I never really questioned anything my mum said or ordered me to do simply because I was raised like that. With my dad being a military man and all he raised me and my sister up to be well disciplined. “Get me some hoops, please!” My sister Gemma called from up the stairs. I rolled my eyes and walked out the door. Don’t get me wrong, I love my sister Gem but at times, most of the time, she can be a bit of a brat. We were polar opposites. She was such a girly-girl, concerned with her looks all the time.  Me, I was your typical, average like, teenage girl who read a lot, slept a lot, ate a lot, and wished she wasn’t so average a lot.

I finally reached the corner shop in a matter of ten minutes and almost fell over on the wet floor. I glared at Omar, the shop-keepers son who was working the shift today. “Sorry, Frey! I was literally just about to put the wet sign on the floor.”

I shook my head and laughed. “You’re so lucky your family is close to mine and we actually like you. Otherwise you’d be getting a lawsuit coming in every other weekend.”

He laughed at my joke and extended his hand for us to do our little handshake. I went along with it and when we finished I heard a giggle of a teenage girl which surprised me seeming as no one my age really went shopping here. I looked at Omar confused and he pointed to an aisle. Slowly and ever so quietly, I creeped my head around the corner only to have my heart sink to my stomach. It was Brad. And his girlfriend.

Quickly, I went back to Omar and gave him the money for what I was buying so I could just walk out once I collected my stuff. I grabbed a small bag of hoops, and a bag of cheese and onion crisp for my mum, and all that was left was the eggs which were in the back where Brad and his girlfriend were.

Taking a deep breath, I walked down the aisle with my head down and politely shoved my way past the pair of them. I successfully grabbed the eggs without them noticing but when I turned around Brad was staring at me and I was met with his beautiful chocolate brown eyes.

“Hey,” he breathed.

I looked behind him to see that his girlfriend was no longer there but up the aisle paying for her things. “Hey,” I said back giving him a tight smile.

He sighed and shifted on his feet. “I meant to text you but I was busy.”

“With your girlfriend. I get it,” I continued his sentence for him. He fixed his hair and frowned at me. “With my music and family. This is the first time I hung out with her since the gig you were at.”

“Oh..” I said stunned.  Before I could even say anything else, Brad saved me the effort and continued. “We’re not even going to be spending time together. She’s going over her mates house which means I’m third-wheeling.”

I laughed at his misfortune which caused him to chuckle along with me. “Yeah, it sucks,” he mumbled when we both slowly stopped laughing. I could tell he wanted to ask me something but it seemed as if there was a force inside of him forcing him to hold back. I looked him in the eye and sent him a sincere smile. “Well it was nice seeing you again,” I said as I stepped around him and gave him a pat on the shoulder.

He opened his mouth to say something but I moved too quick. I turned my head while walking down the aisle only to see that he was watching me go with a frown on his face which made me sigh and stop in my tracks to turn around.

“Text me this time, yeah?” Were the only words I could thoroughly let out which seemed to be enough as his cheeks became red and he nodded with a smile. I held up my things in the air for Omar to see. He quickly gave me his approval with a thumbs up and went back to scanning Brad's girlfriends items out.

When I finally got home I put everything on the kitchen counter and headed straight up the stairs to my room. Playing Oasis’ most classic album “What’s The Story Morning Glory?” aloud I jumped on my bed and took a quick nap.

I woke up to a faint calling from down the hall and quickly jumped out; merely recognizing the voice. Creeping silently to my bedroom door, I put my ear against it and listened. “Alright babe! Let me go for a wee, okay?” Brad.

With excitement I quickly opened my bedroom door as soon as Brad reached the top of the staircase. He turned his head towards me and a smile widened across his face as he rushed over to me but before doing so, he looked down the stairs as if scared to get caught. I opened my door wider for him to rush into the room and he jumped onto his stomach on my bed. “What are you doing here?” He asked as he flopped over onto his back.

“I live here! What about you? Are you stalking me?” I teased.

He shook his head and looked around my room as he spoke. “No, I told you in the shop!  I’m with my girlfriend visiting her friend.”

I nodded in realization. “Ohh, she must be my sisters friend.”

Brad nodded as his face showed annoyance with my sister which caused me to laugh. “You guys are very different. Thank god.”

I laughed even harder at that comment and shook my head, jumping beside him onto my bed.

“I like your room, it’s not pink and fluffy,” he stated. “Doctor Who, Walking Dead, Bastille, Ed Sheeran…,” he said aloud as he looked at all my posters.

“Yeah, I’m such a loser.”

“Then that must make me a loser too then,” he retorted quickly looking into my eyes. It was only now that I realized that we were both laying on our backs with our faces inches from each other.

“I gotta go pee,” he sat up quickly and slid off the bed. Before he left the room he stopped by the door, “it’s good to see you again. I’ll definitely remember to text you when I leave. Oh and, nice thong..”

I gasped as he left the room and looked around my room, my eyes zooming in on the thong hanging from my mirror. I groaned in embarrassment and hid my head under my pillow.

What am I even doing with my life right now?