Chapter 13

A/N
This is just a short fluffy filler chapter

I walk down the beach with Mitch on my back, ignoring the looks we get from other people as we pass.

"I was scared that if I ever found you again you wouldn't love me still." Mitch says.

"I never stopped."

"Can we sit for a minute?"

"Sure." I let him slide off my back and sit next to him in the sand. He stares at the horizon where the sun is sinking below the water and rubs his thumb over my hand mindlessly. "Are you hurt?" I ask suddenly.

"Probably." He puts his head on my shoulder, a sign that he doesn't want to continue the conversation. "Do you think we should go see Kirstie? She's probably pretty upset still."

"Sure. If you want to."

"I feel so bad. I didn't even know she was pregnant."

"She didn't want to be."

"But she still lost her baby."

"Let's go." I start to stand up, but he pulls me back down and presses his lips to my jaw before setting his chin on my shoulder for a second.

"Okay." We stand up together and walk around the house when I realize that Kirstie has her keys.

"Let me call Alex and see if he can give us a ride."

"Sure." He attaches himself to my side and I let my arm settle over his shoulder while using the other to call Alex.

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

Alex shows up in ten minutes. He has to honk the horn to get our attention.

"I guess we have an audience." Mitch says, pulling his hand out from under my shirt while I disentangle my hands from his hair.

"Maybe we should stop making out in the driveway." I say with a smirk.

"Why would we do that?" he says with mock sarcasm as we get in the backseat.

"Wow, you two were going at it." Alex says with a chuckle once we are in.

"I hope we aren't bothering you, by asking you to drive us, I mean."

"Nah. I was gonna go see her soon anyway." The rest of the ride is filled with awkward silence. At one point, Mitch bites his lip, smirking, and wiggles his eyebrows at me, causing us to both burst into uncomfortable, uncontrollable laughter. Alex just chuckles at us and shakes his head.

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

"Sorry, guys, Kirstie doesn't really want to see anyone right now, even me." Avi says when we walk up to him. He is sitting in the hall outside her room. Alex offers to drive us home when Mitch voices his desperate want to leave the hospital.

"Do you want to walk?" I ask him.

"Sure."

"Allie, I don't know if I'll see you again before I leave, so just in case," I move forward to hug him and feel his arms wrap around my back. "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For just...leaving you."

"You love Mitch. I get it. I've been in love before. I would do the same thing."

"Still, I'm sorry."

"Don't be." I pull back and say to Avi, "I'll see you tomorrow." He nods his acknowledgement as I slip my hand back into Mitch's and we get on the elevator. The doors have barely closed before I am kissing him again. He has one leg wrapped around my waist and his arms around my neck. Only the small ding, indicating that the doors are about to open, break us apart. "You always know how to make me feel better."

"I know I do." he says, leaving the elevator and practically skipping out the doors.

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

The long walk back to the house is calming, despite the roaring traffic that keeps threatening to run us over. We walk in a comfortable silence, not needing words to express our emotions. Sometimes I stop and kiss him, and sometimes he does the same, and then we keep going. Back at the house, we sit on a beach chair together with him cuddled against my chest and my arms around him. He is so still for so long that I wonder if he fell asleep. A soft snore tells me that he did. I carry him back into the house and put him on the couch, covering him with a blanket.

"Wait, come back." he says quietly, eyes fluttering open. "If we can fit together in a single bed, we can fit on here." I crawl over him and lay behind him. He rolls over to that his head is on my chest and we are facing each other.

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight. I love you."

"I love you too."