Chapter Forty-One

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE: SOONER THAN YOU THINK

"Guys, what happened down there?" Hailee had come running up to us upon seeing the distraught looks on all out faces, "Oh my God...W-Where the hell is Mike?!"

I couldn't say anything and forced myself to walk on - pushing through the motel gates and making my way to the cabin Harry & I had claimed on the upper deck.

"It's a long story," I heard Penny say with a sigh.

"Laura?" Harry called after me worriedly, "Laura, where are you going?"

I barely heard him as my mind became so thickly clouded with thoughts that it was almost physically hurting my brain. With a wince and a half-sob, I silently went upstairs and into me & Harry's room and shut the door - sinking down on the edge of the bed as I struggled to register everything that had just happened.

He's gone.

Mike's really gone.

My father...gone.

You're officially an orphan, Laura.

"Laura," Harry's voice was full of concern as I saw him enter the room, "Laura, talk to me. Please."

I looked at him absent-mindedly in the eyes; my breathing shallow and ragged as I began to feel a little light-headed. I saw Harry give my hand a squeeze - but for some reason I barely felt it.

"I'm worried about you," his voice was beginning to sound distant, "sweetheart, I know what you had to witness back there was awful...so awful...but please just say something. Anything."

"He's gone," my voice was nothing but a whimpery whisper.

"I know, baby. I know," Harry sighed and shook his head, "I'm so, so sorry."

Before I could reply, or even register what was happening - my eyes began to glaze over; my head pounding and spinning with unbearable dizziness. It also felt heavy - almost as if some insufferable weight had suddenly built up inside my head - forcing me to start falling forward. Before I could hit the ground, I felt two arms beneath me as Harry seemed to catch me just in time.

The sound of his voice frantically calling my name echoed abstractedly in my ears, but all I could do was close my eyes, and become immersed in a world of pure blackness.

***

"Woah," I began to stir by the sound of someone's worried voice, "Woah, Laura...just take it easy..."

My eyes fluttered open, and my jaw dropped as I sat up and found myself in the old Lochpine pharmacy once again.

Back here again..?

"Think of the baby, sweetie," the voice continued, "just think of the baby."

"What the...Lise..?" My eyes widened as I realised that Annalise was helping me sit up on my old mattress.

"Hey, hey," she gave me a tired smile, "thought I'd lost you for a minute there."

"Oh, wow..." I felt myself smiling back, "Annalise...it's so amazing to see you,"

"Yeah - it's been a while," she chuckled, "but then again - it has been ages since the last time you passed out. Welcome back to the world of your subconscious,"

"Why the fuck did I pass out again?" I frowned.

She shrugged. "Could be shock. Could be fatigue. Hard to say," she then bit her lip, "I'm sorry about Mike, by the way."