2. save me a place☼

The moon looks upon many night flowers; the night flowers see but one moon

— Jean Ingelow

solaris

"Blackout! Blackout!" Somebody continuously yelled. I didn't know who the somebody was, but they sounded a heck of obnoxious.

"We're going to get shot!"

"Is this a prank?"

"Like, what the fuck is this all about?"

Everybody around me was acting irrational. I didn't think there was a need-to though, because it was still broad daylight; nobody had been consumed by the darkness.

I hurriedly walked to my locker to get my bag and notebooks out.

Fuck the text books and crumpled up papers that lie at the bottom of my locker, at this point I didn't care about any of that—definitely when there wasn't any electricity.

Even though, at any point, the electricity could come back on. That didn't necessarily mean I wanted to stay in school, where it was starting to heat up, pretty fast.

"Everyone!" I heard a teacher shout over all the pandemonium, "CaIm down! You aren't allowed to leave school!"

"But there isn't any fuckin' running water!" A guy shot back.

"Watch your mouth!" The teacher scolded.

"Yeah, whatever. I can fucking say whatever I want to say."

Then there was laughter.

I laughed a little too because of the guy's audacity to talk that way to Mrs. York. She wasn't too mean as a person, or teacher. She was nice enough to pass me in Financial Lit. last year, regardless of me never turning any homework in.

Maybe she knew of my issues at home.

)

When I went out to the quad, there was a lot of people crowding that area as well. I wasn't surprised, but perhaps a little exasperated. I mean, everybody acted like animals inside Warner High, and I wasn't really sure how everybody was going to act outside.

I sat on a bench, and took out my not-so-trendy touch phone, and looked at the time. It was only 1:10 pm.

"Want a cigarette?"

I looked at the person who offered me a cigarette. It was no one other than Kai Woods.

He wasn't someone I talked to normally, but we were acquaintances. He moved to Andersville a couple years ago. His first day at Warner was a bad one. The football team practically jumped him outside the gym, and somebody had poured milk all over him at lunch. Oh, and Principal Benjamin had thought to suspend him for some reason I wasn't really sure of.