Chapter Four

A/N I hope you're enjoying the story so far!

Craig took a moment to study the woman standing in front of him. All the way up on the elevator, she'd been quiet, only giving him a shy smile when he'd caught her eye. He wondered if this wasn't the safest option; virtual lover or not, he was taking a stranger to his hotel room. She could have a weapon hidden in that purse she took in the bathroom with her. Just because he was the guy didn't mean he wasn't at risk.

Still. There was something about her he found curiously adorable. So unlike the avatar version. 

She stood in the bathroom doorway, wavering a bit. Then she wet her lips and reached for his hand. "I want to stay," she repeated, sounding more like she was trying to convince herself. She led them to the edge of the bed. He squeezed her hand, trying to ignore how his heart started to pound. She looked around the room. Her gaze fell on his black leather jacket, draped across the wingback chair next to the window. She gave him a pointed look.

He knew what she was asking. Craig rubbed the back of his neck with his hand. "Would you believe I forgot to wear it to the pub?"

She arched an eyebrow. He never knew eyebrows could be that sexy. "No," she said.

"Would you believe I'm a terrible coward?"

"Then why show up at all?" She crossed her legs, letting the hem of her skirt rise another inch above her knee, exposing more of her slim thigh. The toe of her high heeled shoe pressed against his leg. He didn't move away. She said, "When we bumped into each other you said you were leaving."

His gaze lingered on her knee before answering. Tingles raced along his nerves. "I thought you weren't coming," he finally said. "I confess I was relieved." He gave a sheepish smile. "But then you showed up."

She frowned. "Have you changed your mind?" she asked.

He heard the self-consciousness in her tone.

"That's the second time you've asked me." Craig tilted his head, studying her again, marveling at how quickly her mood changed. He needed to erase any doubt from her mind. He reached out and touched the end of her hair, just resting below her shoulder. It was impossible to ignore the way his heart reacted. A layer of heat rose through his skin.

He leaned close enough so he could see the faint sparkles of her pale eyeshadow. He hoped his voice sounded smooth. "You have all the power, but I'm obviously failing at making my intentions, or rather my hopeful intentions clear."

I want this. Right now, I am in this moment with her and I've never wanted to touch someone so much.

She held his gaze as he counted the seconds of her prolonged silence. Part of him crumbled inside. Then a small smile pulled at the corners of her mouth. She asked, "And what are your intentions, Craig?"

A pulse of heat began to build deep down. His hand moved from her shoulder as his finger traced along her collar bone, then rested on the top button of her blouse. Craig looked at her again and waited. She nodded.

Moving his hand down, he slipped a finger in between the next two buttons, touching the skin just above her breast. He could feel her heart racing almost as fast as his. Her gaze never left his face. Craig felt like he was coming apart in mini explosions, pieces shattering and expanding to the edges of the room.

Then her lids dropped and she stared at his mouth.

An ache urged him forward. He was drawn to her, unable to look away. He felt her hand slip behind the back of his neck, pulling him closer. And then her lips were on his, warm and soft.