Chapter Thirteen: He's Alive?

Unexpectedly that same day me and Brett had shared our past, a storm was heading our way but we didn't get word of it until it was too late. My house is a far distance from the beach we were just at so Brett had us follow him to his house. Which, coincidentally, is were most of the gang lives due to family or housing complications. Apparently, he took a lot of these people off the street and gave them everything they needed to survive. This created a loyal and trustworthy gang.

It's a touching story, really, but if I were to be honest, I wasn't too keen to meet them. One main reason why is because I don't want them finding out that I'm Intimidator. I understand that we shared our history to build the foundation of our trust, but that doesn't say the same for them. Starting off the whole 'trust' thing, I expressed my concerns to Brett. Thankfully, he understood and agreed to introduce me as a girl from school accompanied by her brother.

"I mean, I think it could work." I told Joey as we followed Brett. Joey decided to drive, leaving me in the passenger seat and thinking over our excuse. I know I shouldn't, but I'm beginning to have my doubts. Hell, that's all I've been going my entire life, doubting something until it proves me wrong, but then again, that's how I was able to survive in the streets.

"I sure hope so," He responded as we pulled up to Brett's house. My doubts began to rise even higher as I remember that two of his goons already know my identity and obviously doesn't like me. But will they really go that far? With my anxious hands, I opened the door and started following Brett after Joey had locked the car. Brett's didn't even make it on the first step of the stairs before the door opened and revealed a relieved John.

"Sir, thank goodness you back safely." Brett kindly greeted John before he ordered him and Matt into his office. At first, John was confused before he looked behind him and saw us. John didn't look at us very longer before he left the door open and walked away, assumingly to get Matt.

As we trailed behind Brett we received many curious gazes from his members. As planmed, I acted scared and openly displayed it by keeping my head down and my hands clasped together. On the car ride over here, we not only discussed how the excuse was going to work, but how we are going to portray ourselves as. We agreed that I'll acted scared and Joey protecting me, which he already does, to throw them off a bit as extra precaution.

Of course, Joey attracted the girls attention while I had most of the guys, but we paid no mind to them as we kept our character. I'm not surprised that Brett's female member practically jump on him when they get the chance. However, he would politely refuse them and continue on his way, completely different than how I expect him to be with him members, especially the females.

We made it to his office with no further delay. John and Matt were already there by the door by the time we arrived so we all stepping into his office and discuss about out current situation.

"I need you two need to pretend that Cynthia is just another girl you see at school. You are not to tell anyone who she really is, do you understand?" Brett ask demandingly, though, his face wasn't as scary looking.

"Yes sir!"

"That is all, you may leave." With one last look at us, they walked out without another word. "The storm doesn't seem to be letting up anything soon so you guess can stay in the guestrooms. Of course they'll be next to each other so you guys can-" Joey cutting Brett of before he could even finish that sentence.

"If you don't mind, we'll be staying in the same room. I don't trust leaving her alone with so many guys under one roof." Brett seemed to be thrown off a bit as he looked at me. His gaze on me was as he if he's asking if I agreed to this. With a nod off my head he agreed to let us share a room. Its hard for me to sleep in a new place with so many people I don't know. My mind starts running with different assumptions and situation that causes to set me unease and high alret that won't let me sleep. But if I'm with Joey, then I'll feel a hundred percent safer.

"Very well, I'll call someone to escort you guys to your room." Brett stated before picking up the office phone on his desk, next to a bunch of paperwork might I add, and sent for someone. Surprisingly, it was Ricky Shade, the teacher that thought Joey was bullying me. I didn't expect for our new teacher to be in Brett's gang.

"While we are here, please call me Ricky. Now, if you follow me, I'll show your room." His voice sounded softer and a little more nervous than when he talked to us at school, but it was probably just my imagination. Ricky showed us to our room which had it's own personal bathroom and told us where the kitchen was just in case we got the late night munchies or something.

Joey and I are use to sleeping in the same bed as we done it before many of times, but Joey fell asleep before me so I got up to get a drink of water to help me sleep. However, in order to get to the kitchen, I had to pass Brett's office, and by the looks of it, he was still in there with someone as the door was creaked open.

"-you have to let me speak to her. I haven't seen her in ten years." Ricky's voice snagged my attention as I heard what he said. I couldn't help be think if he's kept him here against his will, but is Brett someone who would do that?

"So you admit it? You're her father." Brett edged on.

"Yes I am."

"Then why didn't you go back to her? Why did you leave her alone to fend for herself? Do you know how much Cynthia and her sister had suffered?" Suddenly, my breathing stopped, my muscles tensed, and my heart pounded in my heart as I felt it throb in my chest. I didn't move, I couldn't.

"I was scared ok! I was afraid that she would say that she didn't want me. That I was too late." My breathing became heavy as the gravity to the situation grew larger.

"Are you stupid? Cynthia needs her father back, she need you. Can't you see that? She thinks you're dead you idiot." My eyes began to water and my throat burned as my senses came back to me in full force. The rapid beating of my heart felt like it would be heard from miles away.  He's alive, my dad's alive.