Chapter FIVE

The day was cold and sunny, Nancy's favorite kind of day. She entered the campus premises after the weekend with a new resolve to face anything these vile people thought to throw at her. She was not going to drop out or back down.

But she was not expecting the next confrontation to take place so soon. Since she had some time before her first class, she decided to go to the small garden at the back of the campus where she had first met William. But as soon as she entered, she turned to leave. There was a group of Andrew's thugs standing there, busy in conversation.

However, turning around, she almost ran into Andrew, who was blocking the way out.

"Where are you going, Nancy?" His voice was filled with amusement. He easily blocked her way again as she tried to sidestep him. "Haven't you had enough? Why don't you just leave? It's only natural that someone of your birth would aspire to greatness, but your reality means you can never achieve it. So you would be doing yourself a favor if you left." The garden fell silent as everyone turned to watch.

When Nancy remained quiet, Andrew continued. "Got nothing to say?" He smirked and turned around to walk away.

"Stop right there." Anger was building up inside Nancy. Andrew turned around slowly, looking at her expectantly. Nancy took a deep breath, trying to calm down. "I'd like to know why you think you have the right to tell me that you are superior to me. You, whose only power and influence comes from your parents. What have you done on your own?" She walked closer to him. "Your only achievement is that you were born rich. You have never worked a day in your life. You have had everything handed to you. The only reason people are scared of you is because they are actually scared that if they upset you, you will go running to your father."

People were murmuring around her, but their voices faded into the background as her whole being shook with rage.

"You don't even do your own dirty work yourself," she continued. "You sent two boys twice my age to attack me. That probably gives you some kind of self-validation, but truth is, that just shows what a coward you really are. But just know this, Lord Montgomery: I am not scared of you, and you are not entitled to this place just because of your family's status."

Andrew looked shocked but recovered fast. His lips curled into a smile again. "Calm down, Nan." He walked forward, closing the distance between them, standing directly in front of her. "I have an offer for you. I will call off this whole game—if you do one thing."

"No. I will not beg for your forgiveness!" Nancy almost shouted.

"This is something else, Nancy. Learn to listen to people without throwing tantrums." Andrew was smiling maliciously.

Nancy was about to scream again, but she caught herself at the last minute. She was curious about what he had to offer. "Let's hear it then."

Andrew's eyes flickered toward the forest behind the garden. "I will call off this whole thing if you can climb that tree "—he pointed toward the tallest tree, just at the outskirts of the forest—"to the top and jump down." He smirked. "Without injuring yourself. Let's see if you are actually as brave as you act, Nan."