Chapter 1: Welcome to Class 77B

~Your POV~

I stood outside my new classroom anxiously. I had recently been scouted and accepted into Hope's Peak Academy as the Ultimate (Talent), which brought me here. Class 77B. Being at such a famous school and surrounded by so many elite people made me nervous. Meeting new people also made me nervous. I inhaled shakily before grasping the door handle and walking in. As I expected, all eyes were on me as I walked over to where the teacher was standing. As my new teacher turned to me, I noticed her big green eyes and flowing hair. But the most noticeable feature of this woman was her warm smile.
"You must be (f/n) (l/n). I'm your assistant homeroom teacher, Chisa Yukizome." the woman said in a gentle tone.
I nodded in response, wondering where her homeroom teacher was but I shrugged the thought off and turned to my classmates.
"I am (f/n) (l/n), the Ultimate (Talent). It's a pleasure to meet you all and I hope we can have a good year together." I greeted my new classmates with a smile.
Some students welcomed me while some looked away, uninterested. My gaze flickered between them and I took in all of their features. A girl with glasses, a girl with short hair and a camera, a girl with a spaceship hair clip, a boy surrounded by soda cans- Wait what?
With widened eyes, I stared at the boy surrounded by soda cans. I was completely bewildered and confused as to why he had so many. Did he have a soda addiction or something? He caught my stare and he smiled at me in response. I felt a blush rise to my cheeks as I broke our eye contact, slightly embarrassed by being caught. Quickly, I rushed to the seat that Miss Yukizome had pointed to and sat, shifting nervously. Students resumed chatting around me and I looked at all of them, occasionally hearing snippets of their conversations. There was one sentence that made my hairs stand on end and my heart sink.
"Even trash like me is capable of some things."
It shook me to the core. How could someone say something like that about themselves? It's bad enough that we say it to each other. Nobody deserves to feel that way about themselves. I quickly turned to the person who had said it and to my surprise, it was the boy with the soda cans. He had smiled so genuinely at me just minutes before. And the worst part is, he was wearing that exact smile as he called himself trash. My body moved on its own. I wasn't sure if it was because I was angry at him for saying such a thing, or because I was upset that he wholeheartedly believed what he just said, but either way I ended up standing in front of his desk and slamming my hands onto it. The whole classroom became silent as he looked up at me with a straight face. It was almost as if he had expected me to do this. Either that, or he was exceptionally talented at hiding his true emotions in this kind of situation.
I found myself shouting, unable to contain my rage. "How could you say that about yourself?! You're not trash at all!" I was glaring at him and his response was a chuckle.
"How could I say that? I can say it because it's true, of course." he replied in a cheerful tone, which only served to hurt me even more.
"You're wrong! You're a wonderful person, you made it to Hope's Peak Academy, after all. You're my classmate, so you're my equal! Am I trash too?" I kept shouting until my voice cracked in the last sentence, where I didn't attempt to hide my hurt tone.
The whole class stared at me, speechless. They clearly didn't share my views, but I didn't care about that. I only cared about making the boy in front of me love himself more. He was even more shocked than his classmates, as he stared with wide eyes into my determined ones. I then moved to the desk next to his and sat down. In the corner of my eyes, I could see the girl with the short hair and the camera give me a thankful look. She must have been the one sitting next to him before. I then made the warmest smile I possibly could and outstretched my hand to him.
"As I said earlier, I'm (f/n) (l/n). Let's have a good year." I said to him.
His gaze shifted from my smile to my hand before he slowly brought up his own hand and shook mine. "Nagito Komaeda." was all that he said, but it was enough for me.
As Miss Yukizome began the class and I turned to face the front, I failed to notice him staring at me with pink dusting his cheeks. I was also unable to read his mind at the time.

"(f/n) (l/n).... I think that I've found my own hope. A hope that shines brighter than any other, only in my eyes."