Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX

I woke up relatively late. I only had one drink the night before, so I wasn’t hungover. Mark was, though. I could tell that he was a lot more tired than usual. He progressed throughout the morning, though, and by afternoon, he was back to normal. That was when I went back to annoying him. For some reason, I found that to be fun.

“Shouldn’t you be recording videos by now?” I asked Mark when I realized that it was progressing into mid-afternoon. He normally had at least one video already uploaded to Youtube at this point.

“I’m going to record soon. I’m taking a shower first, though,” he answered. I immediately grabbed the TV remote to change the channel. Normally, I just watched whatever he wanted to watch, but not now. After switching to MTV to watch Catfish, I headed to the kitchen to grab a snack, as usual. Mark didn’t do much cooking and he didn’t have a lot of ingredients for me to make myself a decent meal, so I decided I would stick to snacks most of the time. This trip to the kitchen was just like any other trip except for one thing: my phone was sitting on the kitchen counter.

I glanced over at the calendar. Christmas was in a few days. I had already been gone for almost three days, so my parents had to be worried about me. If I grabbed my phone while Mark was in the shower, I could leave. I could call my parents and tell them what was going on. I didn’t see the keys to Mark’s car, but I could at least call someone and find a ride.

As I thought this over, I realized that Mark was still walking around. I quickly grabbed my snack and returned to the couch so he didn’t suspect anything. He didn’t seem to notice anything, because he went into the bathroom and shut the door without a second glance.

I wondered if I should take anything with me. My clothes? No, where would I put them? My new purse? Maybe. I went in my room and stuffed a shirt inside. It didn’t fit well, so I took it out. I wouldn’t be able to take much of anything, since the things that would be useful were in the bathroom that was being used. I still wanted the purse, though, so I set it by the door. I chose a sweatshirt and put it on. I made my way back into the living room when the bathroom door opened. The sound scared the crap out of me - it even made me jump. Mark didn’t notice, though. He went straight to his room in a towel so he could get dressed. This was my chance. I had to go for it.

I ran into the kitchen and snatched my phone off the counter, which knocked a bowl down onto the floor. It was loud, so I had to be quick. I picked it up and then I headed for the door.

“Hey!” I heard Mark yell. Shit, he saw me! I sprinted to the door in a panic and tried to open it. To my dismay, it was locked and dead bolted, so it slowed me down. I fumbled with the deadbolt and I felt Mark yank me backwards.

“No!” I yelled. I struggled, but his grip was too strong.

“Where the hell do you think you’re going?” he asked angrily. He wasn’t being his normal self anymore. I instinctively kicked him hard, not really even aiming. I ended up making contact with his leg and he winced in pain. He loosened his grip enough for me to barely slip away. He was basically blocking the door by then, so I went for the kitchen, which was the nearest room. I got out my phone and began to dial 911, but Mark got up rather quickly. I hadn’t kicked him hard enough, apparently.

9. My hand was shaking as I saw Mark bounding towards me. 1. I tried to find a route past him. I went for it, but didn’t get there in time. He grabbed a knife and I almost was able to dial the last 1. Almost. My finger was probably only a few millimeters away from the screen when my phone was snatched out of my hand and thrown onto the ground. I heard it break. I might have been a little upset about that if it wasn’t for the fact that Mark had cornered me in his kitchen and he had a knife held up to my throat. It probably looked a lot like a horror movie, but it was very much real.