Prologue

There is a thin veil between the dead and the living.

Imagine a cliff, the grassy top the living world andthe endless void the Underworld. The top is where all of those alive dance along that cliff's edge. Some hanging over and threatening to jump into theblack abyss. They are then pulled back to safety. But there are the ones who are left to fall, ones that are sent spiralling down into the gorge all becausethey were down on their luck.

It appears I am one of the unlucky.

When my eyes snapped open, I was unsure of where I was, panic setting in as I couldn't identify any of the buildings, nor associate them with anything. In fact, any time I tried thinking back, I found myself at a loss. I couldn't remember anything, why couldn't I remember anything about my life? I looked down and nearly choked, lathering my hands was red liquid. It was something everyone was aware of, it was blood.

My breathing became even more ragged, I glanced down and felt my breathing stop all together. Blood darkened the black shirt I wore, the trench coat was drenched in it and my jeans were splotched with red.

I attempted to stand only to stagger and slam up against the nearest wall. Starting off from it, I saw the dull yellow of the paint laced with a glistening red. "W-what's g-going... on." The words passed through my lips, but I was dimly aware of them being spoken.

I didn't think there'd be anything to regurgitate, but it seemed I did, blood. I heaved the metallic tasting liquid up onto the pavement. Resting a hand against a wall as I swayed, my fingers curled into my palm as I heaved again. Straightening up, bleary eyed and light-headed, I reeled backwards at first, trying to force myself to control my breathing.

  There was one thing missing, I didn't have a heartbeat.

There was no pulse in my wrists, I couldn't hear it thrumming in my ears like it should have when one is in a frantic state. I couldn't feel it drumming under the skin of my neck and there was an odd emptiness where my heartbeat should have been steadily pounding in my ribcage.

I knew I was dead.

I mean, what else could I have been? All living things had a heartbeat, all mortal things had the rhythmic beating to signify the working organ in their chest. Mine had ceased its motion, the vital cycle of two beats.

I couldn't think back to the last memory I had. I could recall my education, how to walk and how to speak, but I couldn't recollect those moments that should have been engraved in my memory, like sitting in the classroom.

I knew nothing of my family. Did I have parents, siblings, any cousins, and pets? Maybe I was even romantically involved.

The only things I could be sure of were that I was alone. My name was Leto and I was nineteen. Not to mention dead.

The world spun around me, I was losing my rationality and my ability to think straight. I was slowly beginning to show symptoms of passing out. I didn't want to pass out in the middle of an unfamiliar city.

Lurching forward, I attempted to stay upright, tripping over my own feet. I stumbled more than I would have liked, the world twirling and swirling around my head like a spinning top. I felt sick to my stomach and my eyes felt heavy.

The darkness beckoned me with sugar coated fingers, lulling me into the black serenity of unconsciousness. But I struggled against it. I didn't have any idea where I was, what had happened to me and why I was here. It would be foolish to collapse where I stood, however, the more I wrestled with the light-headedness, the more I felt myself slip away. I couldn't fight it, I was losing. The dark took my face in its bony fingers and hushed me of my voice. My vision blackened as the world tipped sideways.

_____________________

New story! I shall be putting the first chapter up as well as this one is really short, then it will be a bit longer for updates with school and things.)