Chapter 6

Inside Akabane's mansion, three elders discussed in one room of the house and forbid anyone to disturb them.

"With the current head's disease getting worse, we should appoint his successor" said an elder with thick eyebrows.

"You are right. For the shake of this clan. The servants also talk about it lately who is the most suitable candidate" said second elder.

"We should choose between Ren and Natsuhiko" said first elder.

"Ren is quite smart but he always play around hitting on girls. It will caused trouble for the clan in the future" said second elder.

"On the other side, Natsuhiko is not so much far behind Ren brain wise but his creepy personality will makes more enemies in the future" said first elder.

Both of them sighed.

"Don't we have any other choice aside those two?" Said first elder.

"There is one" said Ichirou who has been quiet the whole time.

"No, you don't mean..."said second elder.

"Yes, him" affirm Ichirou.

"Are you nuts?! He is a cursed child! Child of the demon! How if he destroy this clan by calling his demon friends?!" Said first elder agitatedly.

Ichirou raised his hand as signal to ask him be quiet.

"He might be born different from others but as far as I observe, so far he only played pranks. He never harm those who weaker than him. He is also smarter than the other candidates. Besides is there anyone here ever see him interact with demon?" Explain Ichirou calmly.

"He might be a good candidate but if he is to become the next head, what about his hair and eyes? People would spread rumours that this clan is controlled by demon" ask second elder.

"He can dyed his hair black and say that because of some disease he suffer as a child make his eye colour changed" said Ichirou.

"If he is the next head and married to a woman, what if his child have the same features as him?" Ask first elder.

"We can just do the same, dye his hair. Besides its not like his child will have the same red hair as none of his predecessors have red hair" reason Ichirou.

"If worse come to worst, we can lock his child away or just kill the child saying that he is born dead" said second elder thoughtfully.

They keep silent for a while, thinking over it.

"Alright. He, Akabane Karma will become the next head of the clan. Any objection?" Said first elder.

When the other two nodded he ended the discussion.

☆☆☆

Nagisa and Karma going to a new store who said to sell delicious anmitsu. Karma staring at Nagisa's hair which already dyed black again.

"What is it?" Ask Nagisa.

"Huh?"

"I notice that you have been staring at me. What is it?" Said Nagisa look at his friend whose walking beside him.

"Nothing, just a shame you have to dye it"

"I have to,Karma. I am not like you. If people know my real hair colour then they will beat me up or capture me and sell me" said Nagisa, pinch his now black bangs playfully.

Karma stopped his track," what do you mean sell you?"

"Oh! Never mind" said Nagisa.

"Did you ever get captured and sold?" Ask Karma demanding answer from the shorter boy.

"Its a long time ago,Karma. And if I didn't manage to run away how come I met you here?" Said Nagisa, smiling at him.

"Its a good thing I can escape. Sometimes they won't feed me for days. Wonder if they aware I am a growing child. If they want to sell me they should have feed me! No one would want to buy skinny child right? Ah! Maybe that's why I am still short" Joked Nagisa.

Karma wondered how come Nagisa can still smiling like this when talking about his harsh past. Karma is luckier than him. His family still feed him and gave him education. They gave him all he needs although they ignored him and locked him away. He never get beaten nor get sold.

"Ah! There is the shop!" Exclaim Nagisa.

Just before he make a little run, Karma hold his hand, stopping him.

"Karma?" Nagisa confused at his action.

Karma walk closer and hold his cheek with the other hand.

"Nagisa, if you ever run into trouble, call me, I will save you. I will protect you" said Karma as he stare at the pair of azure eyes.

Nagisa felt blush creeping to his face as he heard it. Those amber eyes felt as if capturing him, hold him captive. He can't look away from those eyes. With his heart thumping fast, he can't calmed down.

"Nagisa?" Called a voice disturbing them.

Nagisa turned and see a girl in kimono and apron watching him.

"Kayano?" Called Nagisa to the familiar girl.

"Its really you, Nagisa!" Said the girl called Kayano running to him.

"Its been long! I miss you" said the girl who is a little shorter than Nagisa,hugged him.

"I miss you too,Kayano" said Nagisa pat the girl's head, smiling.

"Where have you been?" Ask Kayano broke the hug.

"Ah...I..."

"Oh! We should go inside. I work there. We can catch up" said Kayano cutting him and drag Nagisa inside the new store.

"Wait! Kayano, I come with a friend" said Nagisa.

Just then Kayano look at Karma, he wear his hat as usual so she can't see his face clearly.

"Then your friend can come too!" Said Kayano cheerfully.

"Nagisa's friend is my friend too" she added.

Inside the shop, Kayano took them to an unoccupied table beside the window. She recommend the shop's specialty to them and chat for a while before take their order. When she is back, she placed the special anmitsu on the table and said its on the house while winking at Nagisa. Nagisa only smile and say thank you as respond. Karma saw that and grow to dislike the girl who act all overly friendly with Nagisa.

"This is good" comment Nagisa, eating his anmitsu.

"Is it?" Ask Karma one hand on the table, supporting his chin.

"You should try it,Karma" said Nagisa unaware of his friend's foul mood.

"Only if you feed me" said Karma

"Huh? You have hands, you can use it" said Nagisa.

"If you don't feed me, I won't eat" said Karma with bored eyes.

"Karma, are you mad?" Ask Nagisa

"Not really. So, feed me" said Karma though more like an order.

Nagisa sigh,"fine" then he scoop a spoonful of anmitsu and leaned closer offering it to Karma. Karma also leaned closer, open his mouth and ate it slowly while locking his eyes on Nagisa's. Nagisa retreated his hand and look away as soon as Karma ate it all. Light blush decorating his cheeks. Karma smiled mischievously as he saw it.

Not far from them, a certain girl saw it. That instant she know that her friend is in danger. Bad feeling creeping to her heart.