Chapter 8

I had never run anywhere in my life. Not even for school. My workouts consisted of weight lifting and maybe some cardio to a tape in my living room.

But I ran to Harry's room, hopping over a little old lady vacuuming the lobby on my way. I couldn't help it. I had so much to say and I was afraid I was going to forget.

When I reached his door, I stopped. He was probably asleep. What was I saying? It was 3 am, of course he was asleep. Waking him up would be just one more selfish thing I'd done in a long line of selfish things. I shrugged, what was one more?

I raised my hand to the wood and pounded lightly. I waited for a few moments, smiling at one of the cleaning ladies as she walked by. I realized then that I was still in my pajamas. But I didn't care. His room was silent. So I raised my hand again, pounding harder until I was literally banging my closed fist against the door.

I heard the lock unlatch and the door opened. He poked his head out, one eye half open, the other completely shut as he shielded his eyes from the light currently attacking them. He looked up, finally recognizing me he let out a deep sigh,

"Elizabeth it's 3:13 am." He sounded exasperated and I didn't blame him.

"I know. I know it is. I'm so sorry but..." I swallowed, "Can I come in?"

He glanced back at the inside of his room, still dark and then back at me,

"Sure." He said, his voice scratchy with sleep and a slight twinge of annoyance.

I walked into his room, flipping the light on as I walked by. He groaned and closed the door. I went to turn the light off,

"Shit. Sorry. I was-"

He put his hand over mine to stop me,

"It's fine." He rubbed his eyes a bit and then blinked them a few times before finally focusing on me standing in front of him, "What can I do for you?"

I stared back at him. He looked different to me now. Earlier tonight when I'd looked at him all I felt was fear and an intense need to get away. Now when I looked at him all I wanted to do was collapse into his arms and beg him not to let me go.

So that's what I did. I threw myself into his arms, wrapping my arms around his neck as I pulled him down to me. He grunted when I crashed against him, but he caught me. His grasp was more of a "someone just flung themselves against me" hug than a return hug. But I didn't care. Being in his arms again put me at ease.

He coughed a bit,

"Uh...Elizabeth? Are you ok?"

I nodded, pulling away from him so I could see his face,

"I'm fine. God for the first time in my life...I'm really fine." I pushed myself away from him,

"I'm sorry. I didn't...I'm sorry."

He let his hands drop to his sides as I did, giving a slight shrug of his shoulders,

"It's ok." He cleared his throat, "I take it you had a...breakthrough of some sort?"

I tried to ignore the fact that he was standing there in nothing but a pair of boxer briefs that did nothing to hide any part of his body from me. I nodded,
"I talked to my mom. She..." I swallowed, "She told me things I needed to hear...desperately. I feel so much better." I could tell he was still confused and even slightly irritated which I was expecting. I folded my arms over my stomach, "I'm sorry, Harry. For everything I've put you through the last six days. I've been selfish and unfair and I've made you pay for mistakes others made."

One for the Ages // Book OneOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara