Nine in the Afternoon

Part 1

"You know somewhere in the world, it's nine in the afternoon?" Jack announced, out of the blue. Alex lifted his head from where it had been resting on his chest, giving him his signature "What the Fuck?" look, watching as he gave Alex a cheesy grin in return before explaining "Well, it's 4 in the afternoon right now, but somewhere in the world, it's nine pm and that means it's nine in the afternoon!"

Alex could only shake his head at this comment. This was very typical of something that his boyfriend would come up with. Actually, it was something that only Jack could come up with.

"And I'm sure you can tell me exactly where it's nine in the afternoon?" He asked, noticing how Jack nodded proudly, before announcing that it was in a number of different countries, including Ireland, the UK and some other European countries. "Well it's good to see that you're got some use out of your Private school education, Jacko. You know the oddest things!"

Jack's laughter vibrated through Alex's chest, as he ruffled the older boy's hair, knowing that messing his hair up would annoy him.

"Admit it Lexie, you love that I know the weird things!"

Alex ducked his head, squirming away from his boyfriend's hand, blushing slightly at his nickname. Jack was the only one who could call him Lexie "Yeah, I do love it, but only because I love you!"

He leans back into Jack, capturing his lips in a kiss that it interrupted all too soon when they hear a door slam and voices call out for Jack. Alex moves at lightning speed to try and pull his top over his head as the voices get closer.

"Shit what am I going to do Babe? They're too close," Alex asks, his eyes wide with fear, they can't be caught together. Not again. "I won't be able to sneak out!"

As Jack hears his father's voice call out to him, along with the clack of his mother's high heels on the marble floors, he pushes Alex into his closet, closing the door behind him just in time. His parents knock once on his door, before walking in. They scan their eyes around the room and Jack knows they're looking for traces that the older boy has been here. It's like they have some sort of radar when it comes to Alex.

"Hey mom, dad," he greets, realising he's standing awkwardly in the middle of his room, before moving over to his bed "I wasn't expecting you home until later."

"Our meeting finished much earlier than anticipated," his mother stiffly replied "We just came to make sure you picked up your Tux from the tailors for the Gala tonight."

Jack runs a hand through his hair, silently thanking Alex for making him go and pick it up earlier in the day. Now, all he has to do is hope that his parents don't ask to see the tux because that's in his closet, along with his boyfriend. Instead, he lies and tells them that it's still hanging in the back of his car, blaming the earlier rain shower as the reason he didn't bring it in when he arrived home.

"Well, the limo is picking us up at 7.30pm. Make sure you're ready on time," his father warns and Jack breathes out a sigh of relief, they don't know that Alex is here. They got away with it this time. Jack's relief is premature because his father continues speaking "Jack, the Gaskarth's were unable to get in contact with Alexander this afternoon, they mentioned it when we shared a car service to and from the meeting. You wouldn't know anything about where he was today, would you, son?"

"Uhh...n..no...why would I dad?" Jack lies, although his slight stutter gives him away "I haven't seen him all week!"

"Is that so," his mother replies, her eyes narrowed as she zones in on the backpack that's flung on the floor, along with Alex's hoodie "So those wouldn't belong to Alexander? You can come out from wherever you're hiding Alexander, we know you're here."