Deadly Game - Chapter 13

Okay, today's my birthday, and since I got presents, I thought I would give you a present too :)

It's short, I know, and I haven't been able to edit it properly, so I might need to change some things later on.... School keeps getting in my way, tests every week and so on :(

Hope you like it!

Coment, please, tell me what you think!

<3 Anna (one year older, blah)

Chapter 13

At dinner they ask us about the training. I don't mention Axara or the Careers, nor does Rino. He's probably angry with me. Even though he seemed kind of amused about my mocking of his leader, especially the 'kill your last braincells'-comment. Both he and Marco cracked up big time on that one. I guess they will get some hell for that later on.

No, during dinner I only tell them briefly what I did today – fire making, climbing, some weapons, knots, edible plants, some muscle training – I don't even point out if it went well. They don't pressure me, knowing I won't speak in front of Rino.

After dinner, I walk with Evan out of the room. Rino has already disappeared into his room, and Violet is God knows where. Probably partying somewhere.

Evan comes into my room, and the first thing I say is,

"I've got an ally."

"Hmm?" He lifts an eye-brown. "So early?"

"Yeah. It just clicked immediately. I like her."

"So do I get to know her name?"

"Axara. From District 8."

"I guessed you would ally with her. No surprise. Any other possibilities?"

"Andie from 11 maybe. And the Careers asked me during lunch, but I had Axara already. And, I don't really trust the other Careers. I don't belong with them."

"Good choice. Did they get angry?"

"Yeah... we had a kind of fight. It was pretty hilarious." I tell him the whole story, and also more details from the training. We laugh, and have fun. It seems weird, with the fate that is awaiting me, but I want to enjoy my possibly last days. And Evan's a good friend.

When he's about to leave, I pull him into a hug. I've removed the letter from my pocket, and quickly slip in into his back-pocket.

"It's from Rose to Orchid," I whisper.

"Okay," he says. Then he steps back, and looks at me. His gaze is soft, and I shiver slightly. He bends down slowly towards me, and I freeze.

Then there's a knock on the door. Evan steps back again, and I walk to open the door, a little shaken by the sudden outcome of our friendly conversation.

It's Rino.

"Hello, Cassidy. Have you seen Evan?"

"I'm in here," I hear Evan say from behind me, and he is soon beside me. "Do you want to discuss the training?"

Rino looks a little awkwardly between the two of us. "Um, yeah. If you two are ready, I mean."

"Yeah, we were just finishing," Evan says, and I feel a blush creep onto my cheeks. Why am I blushing?

"Okay then." Evan walks out of the door, and stops to say,

"Bye then, Cass. We'll continue our little conversation later. And, yes, I'll speak to Caro about your problem."