Deadly Game - Chapter 16

Sorry it took so long - I can't help but blame school again! But now we shouldn't have many tests in like five weeks, so I hope there'll be more time for writing!!

The song on the side is Iron Children by Rachel Macwhirter - she's amazing, and she's written three songs inspired by the Hunger Games (Iron Children, Mockingjay and Too Clever By Half - The Ballad Of Foxface)

PLEASE LISTEN!!!!!

<3 Anna

Chapter 16

When I wake up, June is gone, and the light in the room tells me it's morning.

Interview day.

Yey...

So as I slowly drag myself out of bed, I savor my last moments of peace. And, true enough, after the shower Violet is already knocking on my door, demanding me to hurry up and come eat breakfast.

I join Rino and Evan at the table. We eat in silence, then Violet tells me that I am going to train with Evan first, then with her. I nod, and she ushers Rino out of the room.

I give him a small smile of sympathy - Violet is going to make him crazy with her endless tips about how to behave.

Evan and I finish breakfast, then he takes me to a small room and we sit down on the couch.

"So, Cass, we need to decide what your personality will be at the interviews."

I respond immediately. "A survivor, a fighter. Just myself."

"Strong, yet feels emotions. Positive attitude?"

"Yes."

"I think you should tell people a little about your background - how you've survived without your parents, for example." That isn't really something I'd like to share, but I agree, 'cause I know Evan is better at this than I am.

"Okay."

We're silent for a few minutes. I sit there quietly, not moving, and watch him.

The sea-green eyes, the messy dark hair, the perfect face, the long strong body... Evan really is handsome.

He stares at me, too, and I wonder what he sees. I've changed a lot during my few days in Capitol. I'm cleaner, my hair is shining, I'm not nearly passing out from lack of food all the time...

"You have pretty eyes," he says, and I blush.

What am I supposed to answer?

"Thank you."

He leans forward, and gives me a hug.

"We can't tell anybody about us being a couple, you understand that, right?"

Yes, I do. If he and I tell anybody we're together, that would mean that he would pick me as a favorite, which would be unfair. He needs to help both Rino and me equally, or at least pretend to.

"Yeah, I get it. But what if they ask during the interview?"

"Tell them you have a boyfriend. I want people to know that you're taken, you're mine. Just say that your boyfriend wishes to stay anonymous, since he's not really interested in getting more attention."

"That's fine with me."

"Okay, I'm going to be your interviewer now, so answer the questions like you would do tonight."

He interviews me for about an hour - when in reality it's only going to be three minutes.

Then, the rest of the time we just mess around, and get to know each other better – families, best friends, likes and dislikes... normal stuff. He tells me funny stories, and if he's purposefully trying to cheer me up, he succeeds. I laugh a lot, but the nervous knot in my stomach doesn't disappear.