Pass Me The Aux Cord

When he got to his locker he was very annoyed to find it once more blocked by Romeo and Juliet, so with a lot of pushing, growling, and surprised little squeaks, he finally got them to move away to the opposite wall. Sherlock unlocked his locker and put his things away, grabbing his English book and walking back towards the classroom. He managed to get there just in time to beat the mad rush of freshman, all dashing towards their lockers as if desperate not to be late. Sherlock just sighed, leaning up against the door and waiting for his teacher to come and unlock it.
"Hello stranger." John said with a teasing laugh, walking up beside Sherlock with a smile on his face.
"Hello...John." Sherlock muttered, not thinking of an adequate nickname in time.
"How's that paper going? I went through it last night, tried to kind of shape it up a bit, I don't know if you saw." John admitted.
"Shape it up? Was there something I did wrong?" Sherlock asked.
"No, not at all. In fact I don't think there was a single grammatical error, but I added some more language to it, more humor. Your paper sounded like it was being typed by an emotionless computer." John laughed.
"It was, well, I mean I'm not a computer..." Sherlock muttered.
"Sociopath, yes, forgot." John muttered. "What exactly is a sociopath?"
"Just someone who doesn't feel common emotions, and is rather unsocial." Sherlock admitted.
"I can definitely see that." John agreed. Sherlock sighed, remembering what Mycroft had said about not continuing the conversation, and occupied himself with staring at the wave of freshman going by.
"Well, I mean, we can work over lunch on it, if you want." John offered.
"On the paper?" Sherlock asked.
"Well, ya, you look kind of lonely over at your little table, you can come sit with us." John suggested.
"Oh, no, I uh, I don't think that would work out well." Sherlock muttered.
"Why not?" John asked.
"Just because you've decided we're best friends doesn't mean your actual friends have as well. In fact I think they rather dislike me." Sherlock insisted.
"Well, I mean, they don't know you. From what I hear, no one does." John shrugged.
"You talk about me with your friends?" Sherlock asked.
"Your name comes up once or twice, but they just know you as that creepy kid in the back that doesn't talk to anyone." John shrugged.
"Then they do know me after all." Sherlock said with a smile.
"Come on Sherlock, I know you, at least, part of you. You're a pretty cool guy, I mean, you like...um, classical music, and you like, what was it, poetry, art? That's pretty cool." John muttered.
"You're trying really hard to make me sound like an interesting person." Sherlock laughed.
"Yes well, don't get all flattered just yet." John sighed.
"Then again, I don't know you either. I know that you play soccer, you have friends, and you play video games." Sherlock shrugged.
"That's not really me though; I'm not defined by what I do." John pointed out.
"It's a good start though. If you were into soccer I would think of you much differently than if you had played golf. I know that your sports aren't always an accurate representation of personality, it's often stereotyped, but it gives me a start before I actually get to know you. If I had wanted to. Which I don't." Sherlock added quickly.
"So, you play no sports, what might you think if you met you?" John wondered.
"I'd think that I am very smart and I have a good interpretation of what actually matters in life rather than pushing myself to my physical limit just to kick a ball around for an hour." Sherlock said with a smile. John just rolled his eyes, but thankfully their conversation was interrupted with their teacher pulling open the door, finally letting them into the classroom. Sherlock retreated to his seat in the back of the classroom, hoping that his only neighbor might be sick or possibly dead so that he wouldn't have to face more human interaction. Honestly, one conversation with John was enough for one day. The class slowly filled up, making a large barrier between John and Sherlock, a very talkative and judgmental barrier to be precise. But then again, Sherlock didn't mind, he wanted as much space as he could get from the only person in the room that would actually want to have a conversation with him. The class rather dragged on, the teacher was still going on with symbolism and stuff, talking about how important this paper was going to be for their final grade. Then, to Sherlock's horror, she decided that there was no more she could tell them and that they should go with their partners and work on their papers. Sherlock scowled, knowing that, once again, he was going to have to talk to that idiot.
"Hey Sherlock." John said with a smile, sliding into the now available seat next to Sherlock. His neighbor had bolted away at the first moment, almost as desperate to get away from Sherlock as Sherlock was with John. He really didn't want to talk, there seemed to be a deep seated fire burning when he saw John's irritating smile.
"Hello John." he said rather tediously, getting his laptop out and pulling up the document. It was on Google drive, so they could both edit it and make comments as necessary, which was very convenient for a group paper. John was plugging a set of earbuds into his computer, presumably to block out the rest of the annoying people in the class, but Sherlock was surprised when he offered him an ear bud.
"What do you want me to do with that?" Sherlock asked with a scowl.
"Eat it." John decided. "I want you to put it in your ear, listen to some music."
"I don't really like modern music." Sherlock shrugged. John frowned in disappointment, but knowing him, he wouldn't give up that easily.
"Name one song you've heard." He insisted. Sherlock thought for a moment, modern music...did that count classical, theme songs maybe?
"Um...Michel Jackson." He muttered.
"That's a singer, not a song, and he's dead now, so put this earbud in your ear, and listen to some music." John insisted. Sherlock sighed in defeat, but obviously John was too stubborn to let him listen to his own peaceful music. So he put the earbud in his ear, thinking that it would fall out with the slightest head movement, and waited for John to pick a song. While he waited he went over his previous writing, looking at John's comments and sentences in disgust.
"John, oh my god. You can't call Boo a vampire." Sherlock insisted.
"Why not? He stays in his house all day, only comes out at night." John shrugged, looking away from his music selection.
"John, did you even read the book?" Sherlock asked.
"Yes I read the book; just because I play soccer doesn't mean I'm illiterate." John snapped.
"He's not a vampire." Sherlock insisted, erasing John's sentence and moving on. John frowned slightly, but obviously he had made his choice because not a moment later some horrible rap music started to play in Sherlock' ear, a terrible techno beat and a horribly auto tuned voice talking quickly about alcohol and women.
"What in the world is this?" Sherlock asked, ripping the earbud from his ear in disgust.
"Modern music." John insisted.
"It's horrible!" Sherlock defended. John looked rather offended.
"I mean, it's not like, perfect, but it's a bit more, you know, modern." He muttered.
"Classical is much better. It's actually music, not, whatever that's supposed to be." Sherlock insisted.
"Alright then, how about a compromise? You have to listen to this one song, and then I have to listen to one of yours, and then so on. Switch every song." John suggested.
"You have to listen to the whole song?" he asked, thinking about how he could possibly use this to his advantage.
"Yes, whole song." John agreed.
"Alright then, fine, you've got a deal." Sherlock agreed with a smile. John nodded, looking satisfied. After listening to sin in the form of 'music', John handed the laptop over to Sherlock, who quickly looked up the longest classical music song he liked. In this case, it was a piece that they had on record and it lasted about an hour. That should be plenty of time. Sherlock quickly changed tabs so John would only realize his mistake until they were about a half an hour in.
"I should've guessed." John muttered. Now he was the one that was disappointed. Sherlock shrugged innocently, listening to the beautiful music, breathing it in, absorbing it... That was just something you couldn't do with a rapper obsessed with breaking the law. They kept on working, and it seemed that John hadn't noticed, maybe he was enjoying the music as well. When class was finally over, the two of them packed up their stuff and went their separate ways. John walked off with a cheery goodbye; Sherlock kept his head down and pretended that he hadn't heard him.