1. A Night To Be Remembered

It roams the corners of the earth, both the dark and the light. It's a force, a shadow that sees us all. It knows you're perfect for it. It just hopes they don't get you first.

******

The house was more eye catching than the others in the neighborhood. Not because it was that large, just because it was worn out. The windows were all grubby, the bricks were dirty looking and stained, the roof was worn out from weather. It was one of the older houses in the neighborhood, so it had more character, it had a longer story, it had a fuller past.

It was 32.93 miles from Bridgeport, and it was 35.06 miles from the general store.

This was Finn Johnson's current location, having just gotten off the school bus. His dad had had a clown mask on when he walked in and tried to scare him, but it didn't work. It never really worked. But it happened anyway, and it would keep happening, and that was fine. That was good, because it meant they could laugh. And laughing means you're alright.

"Very funny, dad," he couldn't help but chuckle a little. His dad was like a really old kid.

It had taken a long time for him to get like that. It had taken too long.

His dad pulled off the mask, revealing his dirty blonde hair. He grinned like a madman. "You know it is. How was school?"

Finn sighed. "The usual." Just wanting to rest, play Xbox and listen to music, he began up the stairs. "I have homework, dad."

He was halfway up when his dad called for him to hold up. Sighing again, Finn turned around. He had a feeling he knew what it was about, something he'd been afraid of for a while.

"Your report card came in the mail."

Finn bit his lip. He used to be just fine in school, never got himself in these situations. Until he started hanging out with them. But they were his friends, they helped him, they were good for him. Their negative effects didn't matter.

He gulped. "Yeah, sorry dad," was the only response he could come up with. His dad frowned at him. Finn hated when his dad was disappointed in him, but it had been happening a lot lately. He used to never really get in much trouble, only about as much as any other kid, but he'd been grounded three times in the past two months. He knew why- but the reason was just too perfect and amazing for him to want to fix it.

He expected his dad to go into a lecture about his future and academic success, but he was surprised (and relieved) at the answer he got.

"It's ok. Just try to do better, Finn. Got it?" His dad tried for a stern expression.

Finn nodded. Maybe his dad was just tired of punishing him so much. It would make sense, his dad being the way he was. Seeing the man walk back into the living room and flop down on the couch in front of the TV, he finally made it up the stairs. He could hear music coming from his twelve-year-old sister's room- not too loud but just enough so to be annoying. He rolled his eyes.

He walked to his room. He didn't do his homework, even though he needed to get up his D math grade. He just went to sleep, and it was peaceful and sound.

**********

"Oh, dude, I'm excited!"

Finn watched as Larry pumped his fists in the air. His friend was in a leather jacket with a Popeye the Sailor Man shirt.

They sat in the very back of biology class. Allison was there too, his other friend. Today she wore black jeans and a camouflage print shirt. Only two people in his new found group of friends.

They got him in trouble sometimes, but he was thankful for them. He'd been a nobody for years. Ever since his mom died in first grade, he had always had issues making friends. He was depressed for a while, and it had just seemed like no one wanted to even say hello to him anymore.

To put it simply, it sucked.

When your dad was your only real friend, it just sucked.

Until they came and saved him.

"Me too!" Allison whisper-squealed.

Finn stared at them, confused. When the two noticed his look, they smirked. Finn looked towards the front of the room. The teacher, Mr. Dobber, was chatting away about the organs of his favorite animal to talk about: the cow.

"You," Larry pointed a finger at Finn, running the other hand through his red hair, "Need to get into the spirit."

"The spirit?" He asked, but he knew what they were talking about.

Halloween.

Trick or treating night, a night that got kids excited all over the world.

A night to tell ghost stories, hang out in cemeteries, explore supernatural mysteries. A night where teenagers like himself could do whatever they wanted.

"Halloween."

Finn smiled as she said the word.

Halloween. A night to be remembered.

So he sat there, closer to insanity than he could ever know he was, and smiled.

***

Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment what you think!