11. The Purpose Of The Cult

You're about to find out. It's all or nothing. Save yourself, or die. And for you, there is only one true option.

****

Bridgeport General Store seemed even more unwelcomimg when they got there the second time. The aged white bricks seemed to have gained a hundred more years since the last time they had been.

Finn and Allison climbed out of the ford and slammed the door shut. They walked into the store confidently, though Finn wasn't sure why.

Why he felt brave. Why he felt like he could face anything.

But he did. And they opened the door to the store. It was the exact same as before. The same stone walls. The same empty shelves.

They walked further into the building.

"Ok...what do we do?" Finn whispered.

"How the hell should I know?"

"I was just asking...god."

"Whatever," Allison said. Then loudly, "We're here! We came like you said."

And all of Finn's arrogant confidence disappeared. Whatever was about to play out, it was going to happen very soon.

"H-h-hello?" Finn managed to choke out.

No response. He started to feel like they should just leave- coming here wouldn't solve anything and it would probably only succeed in making the situation worse.

"Maybe we should just le-"

Knock.

Finn jumped. Allison was about to say something, but he put a finger over her mouth.

Knock.

It was louder this time. He felt Allison's body tense, and so did his. Someone was here. It was all about to happen- very soon they would either be saved or destroyed.

Knock.

And Allison raised a shaking finger towards the back wall of the store, and the adrenaline coursing through Finn's body reached it's capacity.

Knock!Knock!Knock!

The door shook violently as whoever was on the opposite side put all they had into the strong knock. The hinges were so stressed that it looked as if the door would burst apart at any second.

Finn scrunched up in a defensive position, but Allison ran to the door, her arms out, ready to open it.

"Allison!"

And he ran after her.

****

It was a short fall. The floor of the second room was about five feet below the surface of the tile in the main room.

But the small pain was the least of Finn's worries right now. He quickly forgot about it upon seeing the room.

Seeing the candles in the corner that provided the only light.

Seeing the pictures on the wall. Terrible murals that depicted death in all the worst ways it could be delivered; ancient torture methods, famous murders throughout history...all done in a blood red color on the stone wall.

Seeing Mr. Alva and Dr. Roberts standing before him. They smirked, cloaks gleaming in the candle light.

Seeing the other figures behind them. Figures in those same cloaks, holding sharp machetes.