Chapter 18

The next morning I woke up and it took me all about two seconds before I was leaping out of bed and running downstairs because it was Christmas morning. I'm pretty sure I was the first one up because when I went past the kitchen everything was silent, and none of the presents had been disturbed. I went back into the kitchen and brewed myself a cup of tea before going back to the Christmas tree and looking outside to see snow drifting slowly down from the sky.

   "A white Christmas..." I whispered and I heard a crash behind me.

   "It's Christmas!" Chip shouted behind me and within a minute everyone in the house was lowly grumbling around the Christmas tree until Mrs. Potts had passed out cups of coffee and leftover pastries from last night. We all sat around in our PJ's, including Elias in sweatpants and a t-shirt. When he came in my cheeks immediately flushed red thinking about last night, and he winked at me as he sat in his chair by the fireplace. Mrs. Potts looking adorable as her curlers bounced trying to handle Chip as he opened all of his gifts in rapid succession. He got lots of toys he'd been wanting like some Lego's and even a little science kit Lumiere got him that Chip seemed beyond excited to use because there was an explosion on the cover. When he opened my gift, he ran over to me, a little confused.

   "But Belle I can't read yet," he told me, holding up my gift him, a copy of my favorite childhood book.

   "I know and that's okay. Until then you can make up your own story with the pictures, and then when you can read, you'll be able to open this book and think of me," I answered he looked down at the book, went and sat next to the fireplace, and opened up the first page.

   With Chip distracted, everyone else opened up their gifts. Not surprisingly, the vast majority of my gifts were books which still had me ecstatic, and Lumiere got me a fancy tablet to help me keep my notes for Elias more organized which made me laugh.

   "How considerate, thank you," I laughed and tucked it in next to my books.

   "Well, if that's all then I'll see you lovelies for dinner," Mrs. Potts stood with her bundle of gifts and walked out of the room.

   I fidgeted in my seat and nervously watched Elias as he stood and noticed the small wrapped gift that had been left under the tree. He picked it up and saw the tag and gave me a curious look. I didn't say anything as he unwrapped it and held up a small painting of a couple walking hand in hand under an umbrella down a Paris street. I bought it after visiting my father at the hospital when I bought everyone else's gifts, and I saw it in the window of a small little art shop. Taking out the employee credit card I was officially supposed to use for only work-related purchases, I figured getting it for the CEO of the company sort of counted so I bought it. I was nervous he wasn't going to like it, but as he stood there and examined the art he looked up at me and the corner of his mouth twitched up in a smile.

   "I'll go hang it up in my office."

   "You mean you're not going to shove it in your basement with the rest of them?" I asked jokingly.

   He paused and said, "let me show you something." He nodded his head in the direction of the west wing and I followed him past his office and all the way to his bedroom. He pushed open the door and I was surprised to find the room not only clean, but many of the paintings that used to be in the basement hung up on the walls, including the one of the man and woman hugging right over his bed.

   "They're so beautiful in the light," I said as I turned to look at them.

   "Yes they are," he answered and I turned and smiled at him and then my eyes fell on the box in his hand.

   "What's that?" My heart was pounding, suddenly very aware that we were alone in his bedroom together. 

   "Your Christmas gift." He held it out and I took the long and thin dark blue box in my hand and slowly pried it open and almost fell over. Inside was the most stunning yet elegant necklace I'd ever seen. It had a large diamond in the center surrounded by other little diamonds all on a silver chain. Gently I lifted it out of the velvet and touched it just to make sure it was real.

   Elia stepped forward and took it from my hands and unclasped it. "It's called the Belle Pendant," he told me as he brushed my hair aside and slipped the necklace around my neck. I could feel the heat radiating from his body and as soon as the necklace was clasped I stepped away form him towards the mirror.

   I gave a nervous chuckle and looked at the silver gleaming on my chest and my heart started beating a thousand miles a minute. "Elias I can't imagine how much this must have cost you... You really didn't have to do this. A book would have been just fine."

   He squeezed my shoulders, still standing behind me. "Every rose must shine. And besides, to me, the cost of that necklace is nothing for your happiness."

   He stepped aside and I played with the pendant. "I wish you wouldn't throw your money around like that. Like it's nothing. Some people would kill to live in your shoes while they barely have enough to pay for food and rent..."

   He frowned. "Belle it's a gift, enjoy it."

   "I know it is, and I love it, I just... Wish you wouldn't flaunt it around verbally like you do. It's rude to those who are used- oh never mind, you wouldn't understand," I turned for the door and looked back at him. "If you'll excuse me I have one more gift to hand out."

*****

   I walked through the hospital lobby all decorated for the holidays and smiled at the nurses and doctors who gave up time with their families so they could help heal others. I handed them all little baggies of Christmas cookies Mrs. Potts and I had made the night before and they all seemed so pleased to receive them. I took the elevator up to my father's floor and when it dinged open I was greeted with a jolly Merry Christmas from the nurses and the warmest smiles I'd received all day.

   I strolled into his room, gift bag clutched in my hand, and pulled up the chair besides his bed. I turned the radio on and clicked the Frank Sinatra CD in and played it softly, but just loud enough where I thought he'd be able to hear it.

   I sat down and placed the gift on his bed. "I know you can't open this for obvious reasons, and I'm honestly debating about whether or not to just leave it wrapped because it looks so pretty, but I know you would have wanted me to do this for you so here I am," I told him as I played with the edge of the tissue paper. "This is something I've wanted to get you for a while now, and I thought giving it to you for our first Christmas in New York would be the best place to do that," I took a deep breath, "even if these weren't the circumstances both of us thought we would be in at this point."

   I slipped off my gloves and laid my old, ratty jacket on the back of the chair as I stood beside him with the gift. "I hope when you wake up you see this, even if I'm not able to be there beside you when it happens." I took the tissue paper off that I had so painstakingly placed in the shimmery blue bag, wanting everything to look perfect for him. I drew out the gift inside, also wrapped in tissue paper, and eased off the tape until it was unfolded in my hands.

   "Papa, I know there's nothing in this bag, but I think that's the beauty of it. We started a new life here, full of new beginnings and opportunities. So I figured it a little symbolic if I got you this new satchel, and I even put your initials on it because I know how you can sometimes misplace things," I chuckled to myself as I stroked the leather of the satchel in my hands. It was kind of large, but Papa was always carrying around loads of papers and little doohickeys that he used to shove into this ratty old bag that was falling apart at the seams, so I wanted to get him a new one for his new job.

   "Uh, Elias helped me buy it for you. He actually picked it out. I know you might frown at me saying that, but he gave me a well-paying job as his personal assistant so I used my paycheck to get it for you, I figured you were worth it," I set the satchel next to his leg and sat back down in the chair, holding his hand tightly in mine.

   "I miss you Papa..." I whispered softly, resting my forehead on the bedsheet. "Oh, Papa, how I miss you and your crazy shenanigans... Christmas isn't the same-" I choked back a sob and squeezed his hand. "Please get better soon..."

   I stood and wiped the tears from my eyes and set the satchel on his bedside table next to the bag so he would see it when he woke up. I leaned forward and kissed his forehead, "merry Christmas Papa, je t'aime."