Connect

In the interrogation room inside the boatshed Roman Tracey planted his elbows on the table and dropped his head into his hands. Kensi was sitting opposite the surfer and exchanged glances with Deeks. Her partner was perched on the corner of the table and neither were entirely certain whether Roman's distress was due to upset over the news they had just delivered - that his friend Jerry Graziano had been found dead - or if the surfer was only just beginning to realise how much trouble he was in for getting involved in this mess in the first place.

"Anything you can tell us will be a big help, Rome," Deeks said watching as the surfer rubbed his palms over his hair.

"I don't know where Marco could be," Roman murmured. "That's the truth. As for giving you names...I don't know. I didn't know this Zabriski guy. I swear." He exhaled and lifted his head to look at them both. "You really think Marco did this?"

"We're not ruling anything out," replied Kensi.

"Marco's a lotta things, but a murderer?" Roman gave his head a shake and looked directly at Deeks. "I don't think so."

"He threatened the life of his own sister," Deeks reminded him. "He wouldn't think twice about killing someone who wasn't blood."

"You think he has the stash, too?" the surfer asked.

"We don't know," Kensi told him. "But it's possible."

"All I wanted was enough cash for me and my girl to start a new life." The surfer dropped his head back into his hands. "I never wanted this. Never. Why did I get involved? Why?"

Deeks exhaled and slowly nodded. Starr had said that exact thing the night before. "Seems to be the eternal question right now," he said. He felt Kensi's curious gaze upon him and hurried on. "What about known associates? Someone you know that could know Marco?"

"Yeah, I mean, I know guys who knew him," Roman answered, lifting his head once more, "but I couldn't tell you where any of them are."

"He's married, what about his wife?" Kensi asked but Deeks shook his head.

"No, she won't know or care where he is."

"Surely it's worth a shot."

"Really isn't. She cut all ties with him after he was arrested. Trust me on this, Kens," Deeks said and turned back to Roman. "Side chick, maybe?"

Roman thought for a second, chewing down on his lip. "Yeah...wait a sec...there was a girl, Alison...I think her name was. She and Marco had a thing right up until the time he was put away."

"Okay. You know where we can find her?" Deeks asked, feeling somewhat hopeful.

"She waitressed over at the Nickel Diner, but, dude, it was six years ago."

"She could still work there," Kensi said to Deeks who nodded. "I say we check it out."

"Absolutely. Let's go."

*

Fifteen minutes later Kensi was parking the car opposite the Nickel Diner on South Main Street. "This is it," she said as she cut the engine. "Let's hope our waitress is working today."

"Man, this place serves the best pancakes. Have you tried their Dutch Baby?" Deeks swivelled in his seat to look at her. "They whip the butter so it's full of air and extra creamy. I tell you, it's like an angel crying on your tongue."

Kensi smiled. "I'll take your word for it. I didn't even know the place existed until now," she replied and Deeks jerked back as if in shock.

"What? You're kidding, right? How can you live in LA and not know about this place? Best pancakes. Ever."