After 4 years

4 years later, almost 20 years old, I stand proudly in my position in the top ten.

I'm number 4, and my brother is number 2. Number 1 is Mikasa Ackerman and Eren is 5th, in 3rd is Annie.

I knew through determination I could make it here.
And here I am.

I pick the survey corps and hug my cape proudly.

Mom.. I know you didn't want me to join. But I'll live, just for you.

I notice a splash of water on the cloak. Huh. I can't be crying. I don't cry. Honest. I think my eyes are just a little watery.

Erwin gives a speech to those of us that chose the Survey Corps. I don't listen, I'm too busy admiring Corporal Levi at his side.

I should really thank him.

When Erwin finishes and people leave, I approach Levi, who instantly looks disgusted by the sight of me.

"Sir!"

"Do I know you?" he says coldly, flicking his hair back.

I swear like, my heart sinks to what seems like the bottom of a lake.

"4 years ago.. You saved mine and my brothers life. I never got to thank you."

"It's.. You. Huh. Look at you. Puberty really hit you like a ton of bricks.
You were an ugly teenager when I rescued you. Now you're... Beautiful."

I go red, but start laughing.

"Is that a compliment or an insult?"

"Both." he says,walking off.

Flattered, I walk to my dorm and lie down next to my friends and talk about what happened.