Chapter 24

They spent most of the day dodging the main road and making as little a trail as possible through the forest, stopping once to weave strength into their legs. Killian led her through marsh and field with confident steps. They didn't talk much except for the necessary things— warnings for hidden roots and fallen branches. They were both too occupied with getting to safety to strike up conversation.

Ryla's mind was also consumed with thoughts of the Hive and the danger they all faced. Now that she was on her way, separated from the Caravan, she hoped she'd made the right choice. But mostly, she hoped her and Killian's help would be enough.

They met no other people, but at one point they saw smoke from a few chimneys rising in the distance. Killian adjusted their direction to give the settlement a wide berth. When the light turned the rusty golden color of sunset, they began looking for a place to spend the night. Killian found a rocky outcrop built into a hillside that provided protection from the strong wind that had decided to kick up a few hours ago.

Ryla busied herself setting out their provisions. Killian had brought some of his own supplies from the refuge and they were a welcome sight. He had a blanket that still smelled of the soap Penelope made, a small knife, and flint with a bit of tinder. Ryla took out the provisions provided by Cassandra and began to mentally divide them into daily allocations. She decided they would last them at least three days, maybe four. It was good that Killian learned to hunt at the refuge.

"Do you think you could weave a defense around us?" asked Killian.

Ryla thought for a moment. "The rocks shield us on one side, so if I weave a defense from here," she pointed out in front of them, "to there, I think it would hold until morning."

"All right. We'll take turns on watch."

Ryla set about weaving her defense, taking care not to leave any holes or weak spots. After it was complete, they spread out the blanket and sat down to eat. A fire was too risky so she wrapped up in the blanket. Now that they had finally come to rest, Killian spoke up.

"Ryla? What's happened to you?"

Ryla, who had been lost in thought moments before, stopped chewing and looked at him. "What do you mean?"

Killian shrugged his shoulders. "You seem different than when I last saw you. I can't quite put a finger on it. I would have never thought you would have volunteered like that to go to the Hive alone, for one."

Ryla finished chewing. He was right. Last time she saw Killian she had been so scared of everything, of being a Woven, of coming to the refuge, of the Prestige and his army. But ever since finding Mae and being attacked by the soldiers, something burned bright in her, something she had no intention of hiding.

"What happened on the road to Wheatford?" asked Killian, watching her carefully.

"Mae— the little Woven you met." Killian nodded. "Thanks to your sister, we found her in Starling. She's been living on her own for years. You should have seen her, Killian, when we found her." She shook her head. "She was barely surviving when we took her in. Then on our way here, we were stopped by a patrol." She related the whole horrific story to him. These weren't valkrin they had killed, but men. She hoped knowing what the Caravan had done, what they'd all done, wouldn't change things between her and Killian.

"I knew they would kill her," she continued. "I had to do something. I couldn't just watch as they took her. I've never felt anger like that before..." She was afraid to look at him.

Killian's voice came at a whisper. "You did what was necessary. To keep Mae safe. To keep yourself and the others alive."

"It was Mae who saved my life," Ryla said.

"Saved your life? How?"

"She's got a talent for throwing knives, apparently. But I hate she had to do that, had to take a life. She's much too young to have that on her conscience."

"But it's like you said, you had no choice."

"I guess you're right. But since then, I can't seem to be content with what we're doing anymore. Always running and hiding. I can't do this for rest of my life! And I can't hide behind the Caravan when I know there are Woven being killed every day by the Prestige's orders." Ryla laughed, though it sounded hollow. "I'm beginning to sound like you."

Killian was quiet for a moment and Ryla feared she may have offended him somehow. Finally, he spoke up. "You're right. I don't think hiding from them forever is an option, but I fear my reasons are a bit more selfish." Killian paused and Ryla could hear the lonely calls of creatures in the night. She waited for him to go on.

"I told you my parents were taken by the Prestige's army when I was a small boy." Ryla nodded, although she wasn't sure if it was light enough anymore for Killian to see her.

"What I didn't tell you was it was my fault." His voice was paper thin. It sounded like something he'd never said aloud.

Once he drew a deep breath he began again. "They told me not to go wandering off into the woods. I still had chores to get done that morning, but I had just discovered a new stream and I was dying to go exploring. I decided a quick trip to look at the stream wouldn't take long, so I left." Each word he spoke sounded like it wounded him.

"While I was off playing in the woods, my parents were fighting for their lives. I heard the commotion and ran back home, but as I got closer to the house, I saw the soldiers' horses tied up outside. I was terrified." He put his head in his hands.

"I watched them. I saw them take first my father, then my mother. And I did nothing. Nothing but cower behind a tree and let them take my family."

"But Killian," said Ryla. "You were just a child. You couldn't have done anything!"

"I could have done something. Anything. I was Woven and my parents weren't. They might've taken me and left my parents alone. I could have fought them somehow, used my abilities."

"You know that's not true," she said. "Your parents would have been taken anyway, for not turning you over. They would have probably been killed on the spot. They hid your sister and you did exactly what they would have wanted you to do as well, stayed out of sight, to take care of Yulia."

Killian stayed quiet, so she went on. "Tell me if you believe me wrong, but I think you accomplished exactly what they would have wished. You kept yourself and your sister alive and got you both to a safe place."

"That may be, but I can't forgive myself for standing aside to let it happen. For being a pathetic scared little boy who didn't even have the courage to stand up for the lives of the people who loved him." He took another deep breath and let it slowly out. No tears fell from his face that Ryla could see in the darkness, but she doubted he ever let himself cry over this. He was too ashamed.

"I'll take first watch," he said, standing abruptly. Ryla murmured her assent and started putting the dinner things away.

She rolled out her bedding and laid down, bunching her cloak together under her head. She could see Killian, perched on a rock a few yards away, just within the defense she'd woven. He sat as still as the stone beneath him, eyes locked on the surrounding forest. She watched him for a while longer, wondering what, if anything could ever convince him of his innocence, but after a while, the strain of the journey caught up with her and she lost herself to the cool darkness.