Chapter 7

Lakefur stretched and got up from his mossbed. Stepping out of the den, he saw only a handful warriors with their apprentices, ready to get to training. It was still early. Lakefur took three mice from the pile of fresh kill and carried them to the nursery, where his mate Starpool and their young Diamondkit was. His oldest daughter, Pearlgleam also had a young of her own, Shinekit. He entered the nursery, the scent of warm milk surrounded him. He carefully put the first mouse next to his mate, Starpool who was fast asleep with her tail curled around Diamondkit. The second mouse went to his Daughter, Pearlgleam and her kit, Shinekit. The third mouse he brought was for Nightleaf, the last queen in the nursery with her young, Blackkit. The three kits were going to be apprentices soon, and then the nursery would be all empty. It didn't seem like any other warrior had plans to have kittens. Lakefur was awoken from his daydreaming when he heard Diamondkit's sleepy voice. "Mommy, wake up. I smell breakfast.", he meowed. Lakefur chuckled and stepped towards his son. "Goodmorning, Diamondkit.", he greeted the kit. Diamondkit greeted him back. "Hi dad! Did you bring this mouse?", the kit asked. Lakefur nodded, "I brought one for all three mommy cats here.". Diamondkit seemed impressed, "Wow, I can't wait until I'm an apprentice and I can go catch prey myself!", he squeaked happily. Suddenly, Starpool yawned and stretched, her thick fur swallowing the unsuspecting kitten completely. She didn't notice until she heard her young's muffled meows underneath her. "Oops, sorry Diamondkit!", she meowes hastily. Lakefur shoved the mouse towards his family. "Here, eat.". Starpool purred thankfully, and took a bite out of the mouse, tapping Diamondkit's back, urging him to eat too. The kit happily complied. Lakefur watched his family eat. He was a lucky cat for having such a big loving family, and he knew it.

Lakefur had barely set foot outside the nursery, when he noticed his apprentice, Cherrypaw hopping over to him. "Lakefur, Lakefur! Are we gonna do any training today?", she yelled over to him. "Ofcourse we are, Cherrypaw! We're starting with fighting practice.", Lakefur answered. Cherrypaw ran off towards the training pit, with Lakefur following behind her. The young cat got down in sneaking position and hopped around. When Lakefur arrived, she lunged forward and poked his leg with her paw. "Tag, you're it!". When Lakefur didn't respond, she did it again. "Tag, you're it!". No response. "Uhh, hellooo? You're it?", the young cat meowed. "What're you doing?", Lakefur asked, raising an eyebrow. "I'm playing tag!", Cherrypaw mewled. "Tag? We don't have time for tag!", Lakefur decided and lunged forward towards the apprentice, who jumped away just in time. Cherrypaw understood that this was part of the training when her mentor slipped underneath her and threw her in the air with his powerful behind paws. Cherrypaw landed on her paws, her mentor nowhere to be seen. She only realized when she felt him land on her back and throw her on her side. "See, you gotta practise that BEFORE playing tag.", Lakefur meowed. Cherrypaw sighed. "Alright alright, I get it.". "You ready for some serious training, Cherrypaw?", Lakefur asked. Cherrypaw grinned confidently. "You bet I am!".