Chapter 13: Meeting New People

"Hullo?" Link called out at the palace foyer. "Anyone home?"

Mega Man looked around with wide-eyed curiosity. The walls were painted in a rich pale gold. The introductory walkway was carpeted with a lush velvet tapestry, lined with ornate gold lame markings. The floor itself was a sapphire-blue painted stone that looked as smooth as ice. Several statues stood at attention as they paced down the carpet, depicting brave knights, perhaps those who died in service. The walkway led them into a grand hall, decorated with even more statues and peculiar gray cauldrons situated before the entrance stairs. The humanness of it was astonishing.

"Come on, let's go up," Link said.

"This is amazing," Mega Man said as he spun around, trying to take it all in. The crystal chandelier at the ceiling caught his eye and he cranked his neck to study it. "It's so vast and uncluttered. There's so much aestheticism."

"Thanks... I think." Link worried if Mega Man was going to run into something while looking at the ceiling.

They pounded up the stairs and into the middle of a second floor corridor, decorated with the same walls and floor covering.

"Link!" a voice came from down the hall.

A woman with pretty blond hair and a blue and white dress came running down at them, her skirt picked up to avoid tripping. She collided with Link in a great big hug.

"Oh, it's so good to see you."

Link returned the hug. "Same with you, Princess."

She pulled back, with her hands still on Link's shoulders. "You're safe and sound. How goes the quest."

"I found them."

Zelda raised her eyebrow. "You found them already?" she said in a less delicate voice.

Link reached in the knapsack and pulled out the three pendants. "All here, safe and sound." He handed them to her.

"Wow, that was fast."

"I know. Surprised me too."

"They're not fakes are they."

"No, I doubt it. I'll tell you about it later."

Zelda put the medallions in a pouch in her dress. "I'll have to keep these safe before we can have the vault overhauled."

"You haven't found the culprit yet?"

Zelda hung her head. "No, not quite. We have some suspicions though. We know it was an inside job."

"I was just about to say that. It's someone inside the castle. Someone who had access to the vault and someone who has connections with the thieves guild. Other than that I don't know who it could be."

"I might now, but I'll tell you later."

"Well, we don't need to worry now." Link turned to his side. "This is..." Link looked and saw Mega Man inspecting a potted plant. "This is Mega Man."

"What?" Mega Man suddenly jumped up upon hearing his name. "Oh, sorry." He came over and took Princess Zelda's hand. "It is a pleasure to meet you," he said as he shook.

Zelda liked this gesture. She was used to having her hand kissed and bowed down before. This was being treated as a normal person.

"Likewise," she said as she felt the coldness of his skin through her glove. "Are you..."

"This is the man of metal with the arm of light, apparently," Link added.

"Ah, I see. You must have been a great help to Link."