25. Code Red - Part 2

"This changes everything," Fay said. She had stood up and was now walking around the dining area. Everyone followed her with their eyes. They could see how she was fighting to stay calm. 

"Evelyn's mate is the best damn tracker I've ever met," she continued. 

"Did you say he is Shawn Cage?" Norah asked. 

Evelyn was still staring at the laptop screen. She didn't notice how Fay shot a quick warning look at Norah.

"Is it a coincidence?" Qiana asked.

"I don't know. Let's just focus on what we know now. And face what is happening right now. Ok?" Fay said. She saw how fixated Evelyn was on the photo of her mate. She pushed the laptop away from Evelyn and that made Evelyn inhale sharply. 

"We know Shawn Cage is Evelyn's mate. We know he is in the city. We know the ravens can't  manipulate his wolf side," Fay said.

"And we know he's the best tracker out there," Fanny added.

"We have to be extra careful. Low needs help. She can't be the only one taking care of this area. Bronx and Harlem need to come down here. 42 stays in her area. We need to have our own eyes on the ground. I don't trust the ravens that much... Evelyn, don't cry. We know what we're doing. We are prepared. We have a good safety plan."

Evelyn hadn't even noticed that tears were running down her cheeks. Her body started to tremble as a strange emotion took over. She was scared, but also something else. Something she didn't understand. 

*************************************

"Are you ok?" Evelyn could hear Qianna's silent whisper. Qiana and Fay were in Fay's office. They'd been on the phone the whole night talking to Low, Harlem and Bronx, making sure they had the are covered. Evelyn had been on her way to talk to them, but she had not entered the room, because of their silent conversation. She knew it was a private conversation, but her curiosity won.

"I was sure it was him. I really thought he had send Shawn," Fay sighed. Then she didn't say anything for a while. 

Evelyn was nervous. She shouldn't be eavesdropping. 

"You can come in," she heard Fay saying in her normal voice. Evelyn nearly jumped as she realised Fay had said that to her. She opened the door and stepped in with a sheepish smile.

"H-How, did you know.."

"Honey, even a human being could've heard your heartbeat," Fay chuckled. She motioned Evelyn to come to sit with them. 

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have eavesdropped," Evelyn said.

"Maybe so, but I understand why you did it," Fay said. 

"Oh."

"I was very secretive earlier today. I think you deserve to know more," Fay said and glanced at Qiana who looked a bit surprised.

"Fay..." she started but stopped as Fay placed her hand on Qiana's arm.

"I thought Shawn - your mate, was in the city because of me. I thought my mate had send him. I've actually waited that to happen for a long time. I left my mate behind when I turned 18, ten years ago. And I've waited for Shawn to show up ever since."

Evelyn frowned. 

"I don't understand. Is he so famous in um... the werewolf world that he is asked to track everyone?" Evelyn laughed.

"He is good. And pretty much every pack uses his services. But um..." Fay considered carefully her words, "...My mate knows him well. Not because of his skills."

"Ok. So... when you realised the male wolf was Shawn, you thought your mate send him to find you?" Evelyn more stated than asked.

"Yes. And to take me back."

"What would happen to the She wolf pack?" Evelyn asked.

"It's a disaster if Shawn finds her," Qiana answered. 

"He won't get either of us," Fay said. She sounded determined and Evelyn trusted her. She trusted her pack leader.

*****************************

Hey you!

Another short chapter, but I'm trying to get this first draft ready soon. I'm planning to update at least 3 more chapter this week. I really I find the time, because this story is so done being just inside my head.

Your votes and comments would be heaven!

Hope you're having a super amazing day!!

XOXO

M