4. Final steps

The next day she was working at the diner. It was her 26th workday. She had never worked that long in one place before.

"Evelyn, honey! Table 4 is ready," Luca, yelled and placed two plates on the counter.

"Luca honey, I'm coming!" Evelyn laughed and took the plates.

Table 4 was once again occupied by 2 lumberjacks, who seemed to not know how to cook themselves. They always ate at Billy's.

"Ok, boys. Here are your burgers." Evelyn said with an extra-wide smile. These men tipped her well and she was doing her best to keep them happy. "Do you need anything else?"

"Can you bring us another bottle of coke, babe?" the blonde one asked.

"Of course. Coming right up."

Evelyn could feel their eyes on her, especially on her ass. They were harmless but flirted like crazy. At first, they had made her uncomfortable. She wasn't used to men's attention, but she quickly got used to them. Now she saw them as two teddy bears. As she placed their cokes on the table, the blonde one stared at her.

"Hey, I was wondering, do you have plans for tonight?"

"Um... I guess it depends," Evelyn laughed hiding her nervousness.

"Well, there's a bonfire party tonight. Would you like to go with me?"

Evelyn tried to come up with an excuse. But nothing came to her mind.

"Ok."

This was going to be her first party since she was 15. How bad could it be? It would be outdoors, by the river, and there would be a bonfire. Fun, right? Bertha seemed very pleased when Evelyn told her that she was going to a party. She even offered Evelyn her jacket, because Evelyn only had her North Face jacket.

"Thank you, Bertha, but I think my jacket will do fine. It's not a party party. I wouldn't want to get your beautiful jacket dirty and smelling like smoke." And she wouldn't want to wear a jacket that belonged to an old lady.

After assuring Bertha, that her own jacket was the best option, Evelyn went to her room to get ready. First, a quick shower to get the greasy smell of the diner off and then she got dressed. She had bought a new pair of black skinny jeans and a blue top. Thanks to the generous tips by the very same guy that was taking her to the party tonight. She hardly ever wore makeup, but tonight she decided to put some on.

The blonde, or Eric if you will, came to pick her up at eight. He was waiting for her at the motel parking lot. As he saw her, he stepped out of the car and grinned.

"Wow, Evelyn! You look amazing," he gently kissed Evelyn's cheek and opened the car door for her.

"Thank you," she said and hopped in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shawn grinned. She had made one mistake. Two months ago she had bought medicine with her own name in Utah. Though the prescription was definitely fake, it was in her own name. Evelyn Magdalena Hales. Luckily he knew people there, so all he needed to know was just one phone call away. It was almost too easy. There was a security camera in the pharmacy and soon he would be sent a video. As the big email file finally appeared in his inbox, he opened it. It would take some time to go through the video to find her. He didn't know the exact time she had been in the pharmacy, but the thought of seeing who he was after excited him. He had seen a picture of a teenaged Evelyn, but it wasn't the same. After 2 hours, when the security video's clock was 11.04, she showed up. She walked in her head down, but he could recognize her after she quickly glanced around. She held the prescription with her both hands and looked at it a long time before going to the counter. She bit her lower lip as if she was trying to hide her feelings. But other than that, she was calm and the pharmacist couldn't notice anything suspicious about her. As she turned away from the counter, Shawn chuckled. Now Evelyn was working hard to keep her feelings in control, but he could still notice how her hands were shaking. He wished he'd been there to witness her struggle. No doubt, her heart was beating fast and her breathing was rapid. He wished he could have stood next to her and experience her adrenaline rush. He paused the video and took several screenshots. He needed pictures of her, especially of her face.