C H A P T E R - 33

Chapter Thirty Three

Looking at Hareem with the realization that he loved her was like seeing her for the first time.

His eyes were glued to her as she walked into the classroom, her pink backpack bounced as she made her way up the rows to sit in her favorite spot in the third row. It was smart of her, he realized, sitting in the perfect spot to view the projector at the perfect angle while also managing to look at him in the corner. Her plump hands rested on the back of the padded chair as she pushed herself against the table so others could pass by. He watched her face light up as someone thanked her, to which she grinned widely before whispering back what sounded like a 'you're welcome'.

Compassion. That was what he liked best about her. In spite of her own personal struggles, she was always radiating a light that attracted others into approaching her with love. She was like a little ball of warmth and love, no one could hate her.

Smiling to himself, Momin booted up his laptop to access the slides for the day's lecture. When he raised his face to glance towards the Professor, he found him already staring at him. Trying to mask his surprise, Momin looked back at the computer screen, pretending that the eye contact didn't happen.

As the class finally started and the professor began lecturing, Momin found himself staring into space when he wasn't listening to the professor or doing the tasks his mentor had listed out for him. His mind wandered back to the day of his nikah, recalling how Hareem looked exactly the same she did that day; with no makeup, flushed cheeks - because she was either smiling or apologizing about something - and a shy smile, it was like he could expect her to be the constant in his life that couldn't be easily replaced.

"Mr. Mehmood?" the Professor loudly called out, snapping him out of his trance.

"Yes Sir?" His startled reply made the girls giggle, filling the room with chatter that made him blush in embarrassment.

"Please tell the students how they can access the website for homework practice." The Professor announced, his voice tight with impatience.

"Yes Sir." Ducking his head behind the computer screen, Momin hid his face as he accessed the website and projected it onto the screen.

Hopping off his stool, he briefly described the steps to access the website with the college email accounts. He made eye contact with Hareem as she surveyed the room, checking to see if everyone understood. He jumbled up his words a couple of times, which was very uncharacteristic of him. By the time he was done, he could feel the professor's glare burning a hole in his back, while the girls stifled giggles.

He wanted to hide in a ditch when the class ended and the professor approached him.

"Mr. Mehmood, what's going on?" the Professor addressed him sternly.

"I'm sorry," Momin began, searching for an excuse to explain his distractedness.

He was about to speak when he noticed movement behind his mentor, when he looked, he locked eyes with Hareem. She was standing next to Layla, who too was looking at him. The girls exchanged words and then started to leave. His eyes followed them as they walked out of the room.