4.5

You could practically hear the loud music blaring from the high school from a mile away if you actually tried. And since Kirstie lived only a couple blocks away, it was as if they were trying to make her deaf.

But that was the least of her problems. She didn't mind losing half of her hearing ability for an hour or two because this was the annual autumn dance.

The young girl spent more than an hour in her room, magnetized to the mirror as she tried to look her best for the dance.

"Kirstie, you can do this," she subconsciously murmured to herself. "Don't mess up the wing. Don't mess up the wing. Don't mess up-" She was so focused into her compact mirror and trying to draw in her eyeliner that the doorbell startled her. She was lucky that her makeup didn't smudge from her rapid movements.

"Mom, can you get the door?" she yelled into the hallway. A couple seconds later, her two best friends appeared in the doorway.

Mitch had the biggest grin on his face as he moved toward Kirstie for a quick hug. "You look amazing!" he squealed. The latter giggled and shrugged. "Thank you."

The boys were wearing matching suits. The only difference was that Scott's undershirt was ocean blue and Mitch's was a dark green. As to Kirstie, she was wearing a simple strapless pastel-pink dress.

"Mitch, you can wing eyeliner, right?" Kirstie asked as she picked up the tube of makeup once more. The brunette was more than happy to help his friend and immediately took the eyeliner tube without saying a word.

Scott chuckled and took a seat beside the other blonde in the room and watched his boyfriend's precise hand movements. "Are you excited?"

"Excited is an understatement, Scotty Buckets."

<><><><>

The trio eventually arrived at the high school around 7pm. They walked in through the doors with their arms linked together, the only girl in the middle.

The beats of the current song was echoing and vibrating throughout the whole building. It was definitely not some puny middle school dance. Especially when there were already, clearly visible, classmates grinding on each other in the distance.

Kirstie let go of Mitch to clutch onto Scott's longer arm. "It's a lot more intense than I remembered," she giggled. "But tonight, we're going to have all the fun in the world. Ready girls?"

Mitch gratefully nodded and Scott gave out a soft chuckle that was almost inaudible in this environment.

Kirstie swapped the boys and was now holding onto the brunette. "It's a good thing you're my height so it's easier to slow dance later, unlike someone who's a tree." The pair walked away, emitting laughing fits before Scott could protest a retorted statement.

It wasn't too difficult for Kirstie and Mitch to blend in with the massive crowd. They were lucky to have a friend as tall as a jungle tree in case they needed to leave the swarm.

Kirstie didn't take too long to begin moving in sync to the musical rhythms. Mitch didn't consider himself as much of a dancer, but that statement was quite hypocritical as he was what everyone calls "lit".

Arms and legs were thrown everywhere. The DJ went through about another two songs before Kirstie took her brunette friend's hand to take him to a nearby bench.

A thin layer of sweat was glazed over their foreheads. Kirstie was practically out of breath but didn't regret it one bit.

"Since when were you able to slay the dance floor that much?" the blonde asked with a bubbly giggle.

Mitch simply shrugged and flashed a quick smile before the DJ began to announce, "Alright everyone, who's ready for a slow dance?"

A loud cheer was formed by the large crowd of students. It only took a few short seconds for more than half of them to find a dancing partner. Mitch had already spotted Scott walking towards them.

"Kirst, should we...?" he gave her a sympathetic look when she shook her head.

"Go dance with Scott and ignore the haters. I can stay here by myself. Go have fun with your boyfriend."

Mitch sighed and smiled again before getting up from his seat and meeting up with their taller friend.

Kirstie chewed on her lower lip as her eyes grazed over the whole area; it was definitely a lot more peaceful now, compared to the previous songs. She even hummed along to the chorus of the music.

Her eyes eventually landed on someone in the distance who seemed to be solo like her. She squinted her eyes and tried to identify who it was. He seems awfully familiar...

She figured that if Scott and Mitch were busy doing their thing, it wouldn't exactly hurt to go up to that person. Who knows; maybe they're just as lonely as she was.

Kirstie brushed some of her wavy hair behind her ear and straightened her pink skirt as she got up and moved toward the direction of the boy. As she got closer, she could see that he had long hair but had it was tied up in a small bun. I swear, I've seen him somewhere before, she commented silently. The closer she became, the more features she could see. Tall figure, neatly trimmed facial hair, emerald eyes-

"Kitty?"