Part 2: Journey Of Vengance

POV: James

   As I am cooking up some beans we had brought for breakfast, I look at my beautiful wife, sleeping without a care in the world. I smile briefly, forgetting the tragedy of what happened just the day before.
   Suddenly, my mind is brought to reality, with thoughts of what to do from here. I know I must avenge my father-in-law, as my blood father was killed by indians while I was yet a boy, he was the only father figure I had in my life, so I felt a strong urge to avenge him.
   But it is not safe for Maria. I have to drop her off somewhere to keep her safe... But where? Just then she stirred, sitting up slowly with hazy eyes.
   "Mornin'." I say simply, finishing up the beans. She just sat there and stared at me for a while, I'm not sure if she is only waking up, or if she's thinking.
   "Mornin'." She finally replied, standing up and stretching.
That's when I think of it. I have a brother in Salt Lake City, which isn't too far away. She can stay there until I have dealt with these bandits.
   "We're going to head up to Salt Lake to where my brother lives." I say as I hand her a bowl of warm beans.
   She takes a few small bites slowly with the spoon I provided before asking, "Why?"
   "So you'll be safe." I respond, turning away to start packing up the tent.
   "Safe from who?"
   I turn to her, "The men whom I am going to kill."
   She stays quiet for a moment as I shake with fury, not at her, but at the men who killed my father. "You goin' to avenge father?"
   "Yes." I say, in a cold hard voice, turning back away to finish packing.
   "How long are you going to take?"
   "As long as necessary." I pause, thinking she got the wrong idea from that. "It shouldn't take longer than 2 weeks, once we get you to my brother."
   She nods her head softly, finishing off her beans. She hands the bowl. I grab it, but when she doesn't let go, I turn to her and see her staring me in the eyes. "And I suppose there's no way to convince you to not go?"
   She looks worried, but I have to avenge him. "No." I say sadly and take her bowl, "There isn't."
   We finish packing up and starting riding towards Salt Lake City, both of us sharing the horse we managed to bring from our home. We travel during the day, and sleep during the night. We arrive at my brother's house by the next day, about half an hour until noon.
   We explain what happened and he agrees to house her until I can do what is necessary. He offers to join me afterwards, but I polite fully decline, saying that I need him to keep Maria protected. I leave after my brother saying he will protect her, then saying goodbye to both of them. I have now begun my journey of vengance.