apple cider

Maxinne and Michael have taken to the booth by the front, which no one else wanted to do since the view reminded them that they were stuck inside. All they can see when they look forward is the dark grey of the shutters, and it's beyond disheartening, but they'd rather be there than on the floor by their initial table.

Calum has been going on about how Ashton was wrong about the power being knocked out, and Ashton just took it because he understands that Calum is just as frustrated and scared as he is. It is true that he was wrong, anyway, but none of them would have guessed that the lights were off because the cashier turned them off and locked down the building.

They'd resorted to turning on the flash on their phones to light their way-which Maxinne thinks is a huge waste of battery life-and keep the small area they took up illuminated.

"Did anyone get any bars yet?" Rena interrupts Calum's ranting, clearly annoyed with the way he was carrying on.

Calum's caught on that she cut him off on purpose, while the rest of the group shakes their heads. "You know, if we hadn't all gone into the bathroom, the guy wouldn't have thought that we left."

Maxinne rolls her eyes, until she pieces together what Calum is implying. The realization makes her spring to her feet and stalk up to the boy.

"What are you trying to say Calum?" She lets her attitude flow through her words, because the whole time Calum was running his mouth, she'd wanted to punch him in it. When she'd first met him, he seemed like a nice guy, but this night proves that he's actually one of the biggest tools Maxinne's ever met and she's not gonna take him blaming her best friend sitting down. Literally.

The tan boy shines his flashlight at Maxinne, not at all bothered by her tone. "This is all Rena's fault." Calum says, like it's obvious.

Rena glowers at him, then turns to Ashton and gestures at him to do something. Ashton, who looks extremely tired as he leans against the wall, turns his stare to Calum. "To be technical, if Michael hadn't asked him to get the donut from the back he would have seen us go to the bathroom." He shoots Michael an apologetic expression.

Maxinne is about to come to Michael's defense when she hears his heavy footsteps from behind her. "So, we're playing the blame game? Fine. Calum, if you hadn't closed the door like an idiot, maybe the cashier would have walked by and seen us."

"It was Luke's idea to close it in the first place." Calum snaps, ignoring Luke's offended grunt. He'd been focused on something on his phone the whole time, only dropping in on the conversations when he'd heard his name, and he didn't like the context it was being used in.

Groaning, Maxinne sits down and grabs Michael's wrist to bring him to the floor with her. He sighs, but lets her pull him next to her. This is already ridiculous, and Maxinne knows that pretty soon they'd be talking in circles, because they all can split the blame, really. It's partly Michael's fault, partly Rena's, partly Luke's, partly Calum's, and partly Ashton's as far as Maxinne's concerned.

He'd been the one that made them meet here, so, the only innocent one in the situation is Maxinne, if you think about it.

"Okay, everybody just shut up." She says, aiming her light at everyone. Calum sat back down, rolling his eyes as he folds his arm over his chest. Rena sizes Calum, tucking some of her hair behind her ear and leaning into Ashton's side. Alright, bomb defused.

About twenty minutes of silence wash over the group and Maxinne starts nodding off. Ashton's already asleep against the wall, his phone light pointed up at his chin in his lap. Rena's scrolling though her social medias, Luke is in the same situation as Maxinne, Calum is listening to music, and Michael is the most awake of the six, on his phone.

Maxinne watches him for a moment, then softly nudges his shoulder with her own. "How are you not sleepy?" She asks, briefly resting on his shoulder after the initial impact.

Michael glances down at her and chuckles, being sure to keep quiet so he doesn't disturb the others. Maxinne likes the way the beam of light dances in his eyes and makes them an impossibly pale green.

"I'm usually up all night, so this isn't so different." He answers, shrugging.

"Except instead of being in your room by yourself, you're stuck in here." Maxinne responds, smiling a little when Michael playfully raises a brow at her.

"Ouch. How do you know I'm always by myself?" Michael pretends to be upset by her assumption and it brings a giggle from the girl. She mimics his shrug, then repositions herself to lay down on her stomach.

Maxinne can lecture herself about how disgusting it is to put her body on this floor later. She actually thinks she should climb into the nearby booth, but she's already laid down, which made her eyelids droop lower.

"Well, I didn't know you were always by yourself until you just said it." She says, smirking when Rena giggles at their exchange. Michael fondly rolls his eyes, then locks his phone and puts it next to him as he lies on his side. He faces Maxinne and gives her a small smile, one that she returns.

They stare at each other for a moment, leisurely taking in the other's features. Without really thinking-about how she doesn't know Michael whatsoever-Maxinne scoots along the linoleum and rests her head against the boy's chest. She will definitely chop this up to the cold, in the morning, when Rena grills her about it.

"Hey, Mike?" She whispers, suddenly conscious of how loud she is. Probably because if she draws attention to herself, then whoever's looking will see her tucked under Michael, but, y'know, probably not.

Michael hums, letting her know that he's listening. He puts an arm around her waist and lets off a faint sigh.

"What are we gonna do tomorrow?" Maxinne hasn't really thought too much about how she is literally sleeping in a bakery because she, and five other people, are locked in it. Her parents are out of town, but expect her to be at home, so she's not sure what she'd do if they'd have to call their parents and tell them what happened. Which, they will at some point, and Maxinne is not looking forward to that talk.

Maxinne feels Michael's chin move against her head as he speaks.

"We'll figure something out."

A/N: i'm so tired wow anyway hi hope you liked this chapter and if you did please vote and comment bc if you do then i'll give you a dollar*

*in this case dollar means a silent thank you :)

love youuuu