Matchmaker (Eomer x reader)

(a/n: also Eowyn x Faramir)

Things in Gondor weren't much different than in Rohan. The only difference really was your best friend Eowyn. Now that she was married to Faramir, she was insisting that everyone should be as happy and she had found a way to make you that happy. Through her brother, Eomer. While it was true you fancied him, Eomer was a man you could never actually catch the eye of in a million years. Not when there were so many more desirable people in Middle Earth. Eowyn didn't believe that for a moment so she made it her mission to get you and her brother together.

"Eowyn, please. Eomer is wonderful, but he has so many prospects. There is no way he would ever see me that way. Now please, do not give me hope where there is none," you told her before turning on your heel and leaving her. Eowyn frowned, but decided to go in search of her brother. "Are you meddling in their affairs again, my love?" Faramir asked upon seeing his wife looking so frustrated. "I do not meddle. I simply wish for them to be happy. They are meant for each other, I know it."

Faramir shook his head. "Let them alone, Eowyn. They will resent you if you meddle," he said before turning and leaving his wife. Eowyn glared at his retreating back. She told herself she wasn't meddling and went off to find Eomer. "Dear brother!" she cried upon finding him. Eomer turned to his sister with his brow arched. She only called him dear brother when he had returned from scouting the borders of Gondor or when she wanted something. He hadn't been scouting that day so it was clearly the latter.

"Yes?" he inquired, unsure if he really wanted the answer. "I was merely curious as to your thoughts on Y/N?" Eomer blinked a few times, trying to come up with an answer that would placate his sister, but not give too much away. "I believe Y/N is a gifted person. As good with a blade or bow as with words. Y/N is...charming," he finally replied, mentally patting himself on the back for such a diplomatic answer. Eowyn smiled and turned away, leaving a confused Eomer in her wake.

That was how Eomer found himself in the library a few hours later. Eowyn had sent a messenger to him, saying she needed to see him and asking him to meet her in the library. When he arrived, she wasn't there, but you were. "Good evening, my Lord Eomer," you greeted with a smile. "I trust you are here to see Lady Eowyn?" Eomer nodded, his eyes carefully studying you when you turned away from him. There was silence between the two of you for several minutes.

Eomer was not really a patient man, but he knew that if sister summoned the both of you, it must be important so he turned and began searching the shelves for a book. Eventually, you spoke again, "I do believe we've been duped, Lord Eomer." He turned back to you, his brows raised in understanding. "My sister has no intention of joining us, does she?" You shook your head. "I do not believe so," you replied. Your face was feeling hot and you refused to meet his gaze.

Eomer's expression contorted into one of anger and frustration. "She couldn't leave well enough alone," he muttered through gritted teeth. You let out a sigh and ran your hand through your hair. "I told her to let it be. She did not listen." Eomer looked at you. You took a deep breath and continued, "Lady Eowyn is under the impression that you and I could be happy together. I have asked her not to give false hope and she has ignored my pleas." It was clear to Eomer you hadn't realized exactly what you said.

You had accidentally told the man you fancied that you held hope he felt the same for you. Eomer's eyes lit up in relief and joy. Your eyes met his and he smiled. "False hope?" As understanding dawned, your eyes widened and you began stuttering. "Y/N," he whispered, closing the distance between you. "Eowyn is correct in her observations of my feelings for you." He pressed a gentle kiss to your forehead, making you grin.

Fromthe upper floors of the library, Eowyn and Faramir looked on at the exchangebetween you and Eomer. "You see, my love? Sometimes it is good to have ahelping hand," she told him. Faramir chuckled quietly, not wanting to drawany attention to the two of them. Eowyn had been right this time, but he shudderedto think what would have happened had she been wrong. Not only could therelationship between you and Eomer have gone south, but so could therelationship between you and Eowyn and Eowyn and her brother. As it turned out,in this case, Eowyn was the perfect matchmaker.