Chapter Three

"Grub's up!" Katherine laughed placing the last plate of lamb and vegetables on the table.

As Katherine lit a candle with her husband's lighter, everyone took their places at the table.

"This looks ravishing, Katherine," Andrew complimented.

"Tuck in then, everyone," Katherine said.

For a few moments there was only the sound of knives and forks scraping against china and teeth crunching.

"So, Anne," Philip said between mouthfuls. "What is it exactly you do for a living?"

"I'm actually currently unemployed right now."

Andrew snorted from across the table.

Katherine frowned at him.

"I'm sorry, Mr Cameron, did I say something amusing?" Anne hissed.

Andrew cleared his throat.

"No, nothing at all," he replied innocently, his eyes burning.

Katherine gazed at the pair of them. A puzzled expression devoured her face. Did they somehow know each other?

"As I was saying, I'm unemployed but I've recently applied for a position at the Bank of England."

Philip nodded interestingly then turned his attention to Andrew.

"Any you're a...."

"Solicitor."

Philip raised his eyebrows.

"I was helping Mr Dawson," he gestured toward Katherine, "in a court case not long ago. He was my first customer."

Philip was frowning. An almost frightened glance appeared in his eyes.

"I'm sorry, what's your surname?" he asked Andrew.

"Cameron. Andrew Cameron."

Philip's pupils dilated but he hid all other signs of shock.

Katherine turned to Elizabeth.

"You've been awfully quiet, Elizabeth. Is everything alright?"

Elizabeth had suddenly turned very pale and was picking at her food with her knife.

She cleared her throat.

"I'm fine. Could I have a drink please, Katherine?"

"Certainly."

Philip's eyes followed Katherine out of the room. She disappeared round the corner but she didn't go into the kitchen like he was expecting her to. He heard her rummaging around in the cupboard under the stairs. Philip knew the house better than any of the other guests in the room. He knew where she was and what she was doing.