Chapter Four

As the evening lengthened, Katherine began to sense an uncomfortable tension between Andrew and Anne, and Philip and Andrew.

She was constantly watching glares being thrown across the room, though she couldn't for the life of her work out why. Did they all somehow know each other?

Once supper was over and the dishes washed and put away, Katherine suggested a friendly game of Scrabble. She emphasized the word "friendly," much to the annoyance of Andrew.

Elizabeth started.

A-W-A-Y.

Katherine went next.

B-E-T-R-A-Y-A-L.

Elizabeth flinched and averted her eyes from Katherine's haunting stare.

"Cat," Philip announced proudly placing his letters on the board.

"Oh, Philip, surely you can do better than that?" Anne laughed.

"Very well," he answered and added an 'S'.

Katherine rolled her eyes.

"Your turn, Andrew."

Andrew scrunched up his face as if concentrating very hard, and then placed the following letters on the board.

D-E-A-T-H.

He looked straight at Anne.

Silence.

"Where's my drink?" Anne suddenly asked. She removed herself from the game, picked up a glass of wine from the table and sat at the other side of the room.

"How about we play another game," Elizabeth suggested.