#trickortreat2k16 Contest Entry

"Why are you running?" A voice asked as I sprinted through the dark woods. I turned my head to look behind me into the cold darkness between the trees, but couldn't see the figure I was sure was chasing me a few seconds before.

An arm covered in black and red fabric came across my face and covered my mouth, muffling my shout of surprise. The fabric seemed familiar to me in some way, but I couldn't place where I had seen it before. "I asked, why are you running!" The voice yelled in my face. The voice sounded familiar too, way to familiar.

The masked person moved their arm and I gulped, "Desiree? Is that you?" A tear fell from my eye and slowly streaked down my face.

The mask soon fell to the ground and a sadistic laugh echoed through the trees. "Of course. I was wondering how long it would take for you, my very best friend, to figure it out." My best friend's cold face greeted me when I looked behind me, terrified that I had already known the truth.

"Why are you doing this?" I heard my voice ring out through the trees. A gasp caught in my throat as the glint of a knife could be seen due the brightness of the full moon.

"I've always hated Halloween, but not because of that made up reason I had to create when you started asking questions. You see, my father, my real father, not the imposter you've always known, used to love beating my mother, sister, and I. And one Halloween when I was really little, he killed them both and hurt me so much I was taken to the hospital and I never saw any of them again. Not that they would have known I was there, they were dead. Ever since then, I vowed I would get revenge on all the people who have hurt me." Another tear streaked down my face as I looked at the cold but true face of my "best friend."

"But how could you do this? How can you chase and murder people?" I asked before I could stop myself. She stopped reliving her past and looked at me as though seeing me for the very first time.

"What do you mean? This is how I've always been. You just haven't been looking deep enough." She chuckled and turned her back on me, beginning the walk out of the woods and back towards civilization and the rest of my family and friends.

Standing on shaking legs, I resolved to fight to protect the others. I was the only one who knew. Realizing the crazy girl I thought I knew had a large headstart, I began to run out of the woods, thinking of a plan to kill Desiree. Because when it comes down to it, it's either her or me and I have people to protect.

I just didn't think the Easternville Killer would be Desiree Fulton, mine and everyone's best friend.