Chapter 3

A week had passed since Wally proposed to Artemis. It was the best moment of Wally's life. Obviously she said yes, it went straight to Wally's ego, like everything does.

Artemis and Wally were walking into their apartment after the reunion, Artemis was walking towards the bedroom when she heard a loud sigh. She turned to Wally, only to see his face looking bummed, "Babe?" Artemis asked causing Wally to jump. "Yeah?" Wally asked innocently, a smile on his face. "You just sighed. Loudly." Artemis said, walking closer and glaring at him, knowing he was hiding something. "Alright. I had a plan to propose to you tonight, but I chickened out! I just-I didn't want you to say no. So, I don't know. I didn't ask!" Wally said, looking like a small child that was just hit. Then Artemis started laughing. "You're serious?" Artemis continued to laugh and laugh, but when she saw the wounded look on Wally's face and sobered up. "You thought I would say no?" Artemis said, she never thought she would see that goofy smile again, but here it is because of her.

Wally was sitting on the couch with Nelson, thinking about how he "proposed", really it didn't count, he didn't ask. He was still proud of it though, she answered the way he thought she would, like a spitfire. "Baywatch!" He heard Artemis scream from the bedroom. "Beautiful!" Wally responded and smirked when he heard her huff. A few seconds later she came out and sat on the couch with him. "When did you buy the ring? I was with you the whole time you've been back." She asked and Wally's face lost all color. "Well you see, I bought it awhile ago." Wally said, shaking a little as he saw her face change from interested to concentrated. "How long is awhile ago?" Artemis responded quickly. "About five months before I disappeared..." Wally answered, scratching the back of his head like it was no big deal. "Huh? Are you telling me that you waited that long to propose to me and technically you didn't propose to me?" Artemis interrogated Wally. Wally then nodded, "Why is that a big deal?" Artemis' face crumbled, "We wouldn't have gone back. If we were married, we wouldn't have gone back. I wouldn't have gone on that sub with Kaldur. You-" Wally cut her off by shaking his head, "Who knows what would've happened? We are both here now, right? I know you went through a lot of pain. And I'm sorry. But-" Artemis kissed him to shut him up before he full on ranted. Pulling back she said, "You're right. I'm glad you're back because now we can do some exciting activities." Artemis pushed him onto his back and the rest of the night was history.

Around two in the morning Wally went to grab some water. Ever since he got back, he couldn't sleep, like he would shut his eyes and feel wide awake. He never told Artemis, she would just make him talk to Barry, Dick, or go see a doctor. Wally didn't want to go through that, everything had to be like it was before. Stanford, Nelson, Artemis. It had to be the same, nothing could change. He knew it would though, they were gonna start a family. At least if he didn't feel the need for sleep, he'd always be on baby duty. Wally didn't know what was going on, he didn't remember Barry going through this when he got back from the speed force, but you never know what actually happened. Maybe Wally wasn't in the speed force. It could've been a whole other thing that Reach created. Wally knew he needed to find out, but right now, he just needed his Spitfire. That's all he ever needed. "Baywatch? What are you doing up?" Wally heard a voice say from the hall and jumped, dropping the glass that was filled with water, he caught it before it hit the ground and looked up at his fiancé. "Hey." Wally responded lamely, not answering her question or looking her in the eye. "When I woke up and you weren't there, I got worried." Artemis walked over to him and wrapped her arms around his torso. "Sorry." Wally said plainly, grabbing a banana from the bowl behind him, "I was hungry." Artemis looked at him suspiciously, but dropped it. "Okay. Come back to bed soon," Artemis then slugged back to their room, looking at exits on her way. It was a force of habit, for them both. They were always on alert, always aware that something could happen. Right now, Wally was more alert than ever. He wanted to sleep, sure, sleep is the bodies best medicine. Really laughter is, but sleep is the next best. Wally loves sleep, but right now he couldn't do it, he just couldn't. Wally sighed and walked back to the bedroom to check if Artemis fell back asleep, she did, so he took off. It was one of the times that he just ran, just to think. Running was always fun for Wally, but it also gave him time to think and sometimes, he wouldn't think at all. Artemis would make a quip about how he doesn't think ever anyway, but she couldn't be more wrong. Wally's mind never stopped, it was as fast as his feet. He wishes he never thought at all. It just seems that when he runs, he thinks at a normal speed, it balances.

Artemis woke up again with an empty bed and she was out of bed in a flash. "Wally?" Artemis said every time she went into another room in their apartment, but he was no where. Artemis took a deep breath and grabbed her bow and quiver. She didn't want to over react, but she was overreacting. He probably just went to get breakfast, right? Yep, that's what he did. Artemis stood in front of the door, bow in her left hand, her right hovering over her quiver. She didn't want to take any chances. An hour later when the door swung open right after a breeze, an arrow was pointed at the culprit. Wally shrieked like a little girl when an arrow was a millimeter away from his nose. "Hello to you too, Beautiful." Wally said and pushed the arrow away from his face. "You can't just leave like that! I need a warning! A note or-" Wally cut Artemis off by holding up a note that he left on the counter, Went to get bagels and donuts. Love ya, Baywatch. "Like this note?" Wally smirked at his fiancé, knowing full well that this was going to happen. "Sorry, but you know why I'm like this. I think Nelson is too." Artemis said and bent down to let Nelson who was sniffing around Wally's feet. "It's okay, babe. But, eventually I'm gonna go back to school. Life will be normal again." Wally said taking a bite of one of the donuts, one of four dozen. "It will never be normal." Artemis mumbled.