He Photographed The Things He loved

When Lucas Friar and Riley Matthews "dated" in 7th grade, he always took pictures of her. Lucas wanted to pursue photography as a hobby, and Riley was the perfect muse. She was always smiling, laughing, anything she did was picture perfect to Lucas, so he snapped pictures of her whenever he could. When they "broke up" in 7th grade, he still took pictures of her. Even when they were in that awful triangle in 8th and the beginning of 9th grade, he took pictures of Riley.

He only ever really took pictures of Riley. Sure, he took pictures of Maya, Farkle, Zay and Smackle, but that was only group pictures. Never by themselves. It seemed that luxury was reserved for Riley only, which the group never really understood, but they didn't question it.

In the middle of 9th grade, Riley dropped out of the triangle. "I can't handle this anymore. I can tell you really like her, Lucas. And I want Maya to be happy. I want you to be happy. So be happy together." She said with a watery smile, giving him a soft kiss on the cheek.

Lucas started dating Maya at the end of the 9th grade. She was so excited, giggling happily and repeatedly asking Riley if she was okay with it, and the brunette smiled and laughed every time, assuring she was. Lucas still took pictures of Riley.

In 10th grade, he and Maya were still dating, and now Riley was a cheerleader, dating the quarterback of the football team. Lucas always went with Maya to Riley's cheer practices, and he always had his camera. Snapping pictures of Riley smiling, clapping, cheering. Anything. Maya found it annoying, but never questioned it.

When they graduated, Smackle was valedictorian of their class. Farkle won copious amounts of awards for intelligence, and Maya had painted a mural for the school. They were all picture perfect moments that Lucas could have captured, but he never even touched his camera until Riley did one last cheer at graduation with her squad.

He took pictures of her when she accepted her diploma, but not of anyone else when they got theirs. He only ever took pictures of Riley.

Maya had finally had enough of it. She cornered him and questioned him about why he only ever took pictures of Riley, when him and Maya were dating, not him and Riley. Lucas was quiet for awhile until he finally gave her his answer.

Riley found Maya crying in the bathroom at graduation.

"Peaches! What's the matter?!" Riley asked, concern clear on her features. The blonde looked up with blood-shot blue eyes, that held nothing but hurt.

"You know how Lucas only took pictures of you? Never of me; his girlfriend, or anyone else for the matter?" She asked. Riley furrowed her brow but nodded slowly. Maya gave a bitter laugh. "I asked him why. He told me he photographed the things he loved."