Chapter Nine

Today was the day I got my surprise.  I was kind of excited yet slightly nervous.  Sometimes his ideas of a surprise weren't really all that great.  I would just settle for a day where I could be left alone in my room and not have to worry about not making him angry.  But I would take anything with a gracious attitude.

                I had grown use to minimal needs.  The walls were a bare white, I was not allowed any sort of decoration but at least I was gvien a couple of widnows.  Though they were permenantly sealed shut.  I missed the smell of fresh spring rain.

                Only a week ago I was allowed to have a television in my room.  There was nothing ever on it though, so I didn't watch it often.  I would hear of women escaping from their captors after being held against their wills for ten years or more and would only silently pray I wasn't as lucky.

                Today I was laying on my bed, staring blankly at the screen when he pushed my door open.  "You're lucky all of your chores are done for the day."  He growled.

                I sat up quickly trying not to irritate him even more.  "I'm going out to get your surprise.  I'll be back around five.  I still expect dinner to be ready and hot on the table when I return.  Maybe I won't even make you do dishes."

                "I can do dishes, Sir.  It's not a problem."

                "very well then.  I'll be back later.  Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone."

                "Of course not.  You're so kind to me that I would never dream of doing something like that."

                "Good girl.  Good bye."  He closes the door softly behind him.

                I enjoyed my peace of mind for about an hour before the thought crossed my mind.  This will be the longest that he has ever left me a lone, only if he had truly left me alone.  I tip-toed to the edge of my bedroom, listening closely to the noises on the other side of the door.  He could easily be hiding some where, waiting for me to try and escape and then catch me with an even greater beating.

                I walked through the house, acting as if I were cleaning it once more.  But there was no sign of him.  His car was not parked in the garage and the pavement was cool from its long vaccancy.  I immediately ran back into the house and scanned the windows, searching for his car amongst the neighbors'; yet there was no sign of it.

                I didn't waste a moment more.  I grabbed my tennis shoes and sprinted for the back door, barely pulling them over my bare feet as they hit the cool grass.  I headed towards the woods; branches ripped at my clothes and skin yet none were able to slow me down.  If I were caught the punishment would be grave, finally the death I had been so longing for.  But something different pulled me deep into the woods.  I had no idea where this sudden rush of energy came from or what I was running to, but I was grateful for it.

                I knew these woods; I felt at home within them.  These were the woods that Danny and I had grown up in.  I could remember the countless hours we spent playing in them.  How one night we had scared our parents when we did not return.  The entire town spent the rest of the night searching for us.  Sure, we had stumbled upon a cave and fallen asleep on a pillow made of moss with the bats' eyes acting as our night lights; but we had had the best night of our lives then.  That was the night we had our first kiss.  That was the night we had truly become the best of friends, inseperable.  My lips tingled at this very distant memory.

                I ran until my legs burned with exhaustion and my lungs were incapable of holding any more oxygen.  But I did not stop walking.  Night had fallen and there was no doubt he was looking for me.  I followed the highway, but stayed within the shadows of the trees.  I was just out of reach of car lights, but not from the hum of passing engines.  Each one terrified me, but as the night wore on; fewer cars blanketed the concrete allowing me a moment of rest.