Chapter 8 ☼ Haunting

'Cause I've done some things that I can't speak
And I've tried to wash you away
But you just won't leave
So won't you take a breath and dive in deep
'Cause I came here so you'd come for me
I'm begging you to keep on haunting
-Halsey / Haunting

Hong Fa opened cabinet after bare cabinet, his brow furrowed. He Tian had remained close by after Hong Fa had slid off of his lap. It had been quite obvious that He Tian had been turned on by their kissing. Hell, Hong Fa had been turned on, he just had no clue how to move further. That and they still had several things to discuss.

"Watch your head," Hong Fa instructed as he closed the cabinets. "This would probably be simpler if you sat down and got out of my way."

He Tian gave Hong Fa's hair a playful tug, but used the close proximity to kiss Hong Fa's temples. Hong Fa's cheeks reddened considerably.

"Just curious, Carrot Head. What can you make from a bag of outdated rice and a can of tomato purée?" He Tian pursed his lips, reopening a cabinet and running a finger over the dusty inside.

Hong Fa sheepishly scratched at his head, "Uh, what if I buy take away? My last paycheck from you paid our bills and my mother paid for groceries, but... it's the end of the month again so we're, uh, really tight on funds and-"

Hong Fa moved to check the nearly empty refrigerator again. He Tian of course might be used to having empty cupboards just because he didn't know what to fill them with. But He Tian always had the funds, always had money for food.

An arm curled around Hong Fa's waist, pulling him away from the fridge and against He Tian. The taller boy was looking at Hong Fa with a look that could only be one of concern. It was a rare look on a the generally smug face.

"What do you do if you aren't eating with me and you don't have groceries?"

"I don't eat or I eat what I can," Hong Fa mumbled, refusing to meet He Tian's gaze. It was wildly embarrassing to him. "It's been that way for years now, so-"

"What if," He Tian interjected. "I take you to buy groceries?"

"I don't think I have enough for groceries."

"That's why I'll be buying them, idiot. Use your carrot brain."

Hong Fa abruptly pulled away, "He Tian, no. I won't let you do that, you can't treat me like a some sort of charity case. We don't take handouts."

"Not for you then, but for me," He Tian pressed, reaching again for Hong Fa. Hong Fa struggled to think clearly when He Tian was touching him. "You wouldn't want to starve me would you?"

"There's plenty of food at your apartment."

He Tian slipped closer and closer, pressing their foreheads together, and Hong Fa was already searching out He Tian's lips with his own, but He Tian simply chuckled, "What about when I visit here? Can I keep food here for when I visit?"

"No," Hong Fa managed to breathe, and He Tian laughed.

"Stubborn bastard. Not many people get away with telling me no."

He Tian brushed his lips once against Hong Fa's, and Hong Fa reddened once more, "Yeah but I see you for the weak fucker that you really are."

"Weak, hmm?" He Tian hummed. He released Hong Fa finally, gingerly fixing the bandage on his busted knuckles, and then he was exiting the kitchen. Hong Fa frowned.

"Where are you going?" The sound of the front door opening was the only answer, and Hong Fa stalked after the dark haired boy. "He Tian-"

"I'm getting you groceries and you can't stop me."