Syllable Level Phonotactics

This chapter will inform you of the rules of forming syllables and words. You either need to have memorized how to pronounce the language, or keep the last chapter open in another tab so you know how to pronounce these examples.

~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~

Syllable Structure:

(C)(C) V (C)(C)

This means that every syllable must have a vowel, and there can be a max of two consonants at the beginning (onset) and the end (coda) of the syllable. But, these consonants ore not required (which is what the parenthesis mean). There are rules as to what consonant combinations are allowed in the onset and coda, which is what phonotactics is. Let's begin.

~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~

Affricates vs. Stop-Fricative Sequences:

Affricates (ts, dz, c, j) appear in the onset of syllables, and may end a syllable in a specific circumstance (next section).

Pronunciation Note: When an affricate occurs in the middle of a word, the affricate is always pronounced in the onset of the syllable. For English speakers, it is simple to pronounce 'c' and 'j.' However, when 'ts' and 'dz' are used, be mindful of the following:

"etse" would be broken up into syllables as follows: e-tse not et-se. Think of the English affricate' ch.' In the word "Touching," we do not pronounce it as 'tut-shing,' we keep the 'ch' as a single sound that can't be broken up. Whenever you see 'ts' or 'dz' in the middle of a word, remember to keep them together.

~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~

Fricative-Affricate Pairs:

It is possible to have a fricative-affricate pairs. This feature is inspired by the Polish word 'Miłość,' meaning 'love.' IPA pronunciation [ˈmʲi.wɔɕt͡ɕ]. These pairings work with the four affricates of this language. However, they can only occur at the end of a word.

Examples: -ests, -ezdz, -eshc, -ezhj

Endings of lone affricates are not allowed.

Examples: -ets, -edz, -ec, -ej

~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~

Long Consonants:

A last thing you will see are two of the same letters in a row. When this occurs, the consonant is long (geminated). This occurs in the nasals, the lateral approximate and plosives.

In nasals and lateral approximate, just hold the sound out longer.

Examples: -nne-, -mme-, and -lle-

The 'hold' of the plosive is audibly prolonged, before the release.

Examples: hakka is broken up into syllables as ha-(hold)ka. IPA [hɐ.kːɐ]

-ppe-, -bbe-, -tte-, -dde-, -kke-, -gge-

These long consonants must occur in the middle of a word, between two syllables. The release of long plosives is always part of the second syllable.

~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~

The 'Y' and 'W' Approxamates:

A word will never begin with a 'Y.' Instead, they come between an onset consonant and the vowel. This is indeed inspired by Japanese. The initial vowels permitted are plosives, affricates, fricatives, and nasals. Plus the tap.

All Examples:

Plosives: Pye-, Bye-, Tye-, Dye-, Kye-, Gye-

Affricates: Tsye-, Dzye-, Cye-, Jye-

Fricatives: Fye-, Vye-, Sye-, Zye-, Shye-, Zhye-, Ģye-, Hye-

Nasal: Nye-, Mye-

Tap: Rye-

Replace the 'Y's above with a 'w' and those are also valid.

Exception - Tapped 'r': There is no Rwe- sound.

All long consonants except the lateral approximate may also be modified this way.

All Examples:

-nnye-, -mmye-, -ppye-, -bbye-, -ttye-, -ddye-, -kkye-, -ggye-, and their 'W' counterparts

No -llye- or -llwe-

~----------~

Return to Phonetics:

When you apply the 'y' and 'w' to the 'h' sound, they are not [hj] or [hw], but become [ç] and [ʍ] respectively. The same occurs with y + k, g, and n. they are not [kj], [gj], and [nj] but [c], [ɟ], and [ɲ].

~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~

Other Onset Rules:

- Fricative-Plosive Paris:

These do not exist in this language.

Forbidden: Ste-, Zge-, Vbe-, Ske-

- Solo Consonants:

Any consonant except 'y' can start a syllable all by itself.

Examples: Se-, De-, Re-, We-, Dze-, Ne-, etc.

- The'R'

An 'R' can come between a plosive and a vowel, only in the onset.

All Examples: Pre-, Bre-, Tre-, Dre-, Kre-, Gre-

~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~

Other Coda Rules:

Solo Consonants:

Any consonant except 'y' and 'w,' and 'h' can end a syllable all by itself.

Examples: -es, -ed, -er, -edz, -en, etc.

~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~

Exceptions And Special:

'Y':

Cannot appear in the coda at all, or alone in the onset. It can only come between another consonant and a vowel as you read above.

Allowed: Tye-, Fye-

Forbidden: Ye-, -ey

'L':

It can only appear in the onset and coda by itself. It has no 'y' or 'w' modifications. It can belong in the onset like all other long consonants.

Allowed: Le-, -el, -lle-

Forbidden: lye-, lwe, tle-

~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~

Alright, time to move on to words! Well, after a list of all possible syllable onsets and codas.