~01~

Insignificant - 1

"Leah, did we have maths homework?" Chloe asked Leah.

"Yes, it was pages forty to forty three of the workbook," Leah answered, running her hands through her hair to make it less frizzy.

"Oh well," Chloe said mildly.

She was not the type of girl to get worked up if she looked into her mirror and saw a big, red pimple on her forehead -she would just brush her bangs over it. Nor was she the type to freak out if she didn't achieve perfect grades -she would just resolve to do better next time. Chloe was mild and patient, and that's what made her lovable.

"Mr. Jollsen is going to go crazy," Leah said, shaking her head good-naturedly. "This is the fourth time in a row you forgot the homework!"

"Oh well," Chloe said again.

Leah grabbed her stack of color coded index cards that she drew after every class and rifled through them. Leah was the over-stressed girl who reviewed class-notes just in case there might be a surprise-quiz. Chloe and she were as different as you could get. Chloe never was moody, whereas Leah was and when she was in a mood, only Chloe could calm her down.

"I need to talk to Mr. Jollsen about Problem three," Leah said worriedly. "I just couldn't understand it."

Chloe laughed lightly. "Ley, calm down. You look so tired!"

"I slept at four A.M. yesterday," Leah admitted. "I had to study English."

"Wow," Chloe said, marevling at her friend's courage.

Because she didn't have any of her own.

At least, that's what she thought.

"I need a perfect score for the SATs," Leah resumed, skimming through a stack of papers. 

"Which you'll get," Chloe returned. "Don't worry, 'kay?"

Leah nodded, but she couldn't help but worry. If she didn't, how would she get into Harvard like her brother Thomas?

"Class, come in," Mr Jollsen said. The class filed in, chattering. Leah took a seat and Chloe sat next to her. Their unspoken rule was to ALWAYS sit side by side.

Because, after all, that's what best friends did.

The girls of the class looked fresh and pretty, all wearing autumn-ish clothes, long shiny tunics and sparkly sequined dresses, dark, tight jeans and loose off-the shoulder tops, with Ugg boots or Forever 21 ballet flats. 

Chloe now knew better than to stare enviously at them, because of something Kate Willows had said to her before moving to Maine last year.

'Hot girls have problems too. We're just like you, but we're hot.'

Chloe had nodded, not appreciating that Kate was basically categorizing her as 'not hot'. But now, Chloe knew Kate hadn't been trying to be mean. She had been the only 'popular' to notice Chloe, and had been trying to tell her that, well, no one had a perfect life.

But Chloe still believed that a perfect life was waiting for her, somewhere out there.

"Jesse is hotter than any Greek God," Leah whispered to Chloe. Jesse Fellner was the catch of the school. Every girl fangirled over his chisled jaw, his muscular body, his green eyes...

Even Chloe thought he was hot.

But not in the 'I want to date you' kind of way.

Because Chloe knew, her Prince was out there, and he would find her. And she would find him.

Sorry it's short, I have exams and no time to write more. :'(

Dedicated to one of  my beautiful Wattpad besties, Ky! @crazying ILYSM Oreo Monster! :) Also thanks for the cover! And the lovely banner!(on side)

ILY all. Gonna be updating more during vaca. :)

Val

XX