Chapter 1

We should begin this story like how most coming of age stories start out.

In a hallway.

"What the hell is with people starting stories in hallways?! Most people are I dunno in class or something in school. Not roaming around in a dumbass hallway."

"Well if I was a book character, I'd rather start off walking in a hallway then I dunno in a cupboard under a flight of stairs."

"I suppose you're right. But I don't know....I mean it's high school. It's a coming of age story. You would think they would make it more...," Skylar paused, "interesting."

Skylar Melby was walking down a hallway with none other than her two best friends, Lupita May and Lynn Lee, holding a novel that she just checked out from the library. Adjusting her backpack, she continued on her rant about teen fiction novels. Being an avid reader, speaker, and writer herself, she literally had contentions spilling off her tongue on ways to make the typical coming of age story better.

"I can literally state fifty books if not more that start off in a hallway."

"Please don't," Lupita May stated gruffly.

Lupita May was none other than the number one girl. As in, she was the top of her class. Hoping to be majoring in the medical field, her dream was to be helping children in some faraway place or at least in an office just down the street.

She soon bumped into someone tall and attractive, dropping her science textbook on the ground.

This was the moment.

Right here.

The moment in the book where you expect two lovers to meet, graze hands "unexpectedly," soon get their textbook back, and hear a quick apology, hearing a voice that neither parties will ever forget.

The moment in the book where the both stare into each other's eyes, thinking they will never meet ever again, but time and time again they do.

The moment when-

"Hey loser watch where you're going."

So much for that.

"Sorry asshat didn't realize it was your time of the month," Lupita replied back, annoyed as per usual.

"You really should be nicer to people Lupita," Lynn said, carrying her music bag and violin.

Lynn Lee was your typical musical prodigy. Excelling in not only in playing but composing music, she almost always had a solo in every orchestra or band she was in. Currently she's in five.

"Why?"

"Because people then become nicer to you," Lynn replied, "sorry gotta go, orchestra practice."

"Which one," Skylar joked.

Lynn made a face then ran off, making the trio turn into a duo as they both continued to walk to their science class to ask some additional questions.

They quickly heard a boom and then ran in.

"Hey are you okay Mr. Phillips," Skylar asked. She then rose an eyebrow as he quickly hid packages wrapped in tin foil and plastic bags in nearby boxes.

"Yes," he said laughing awkwardly, "yes I'm fine. Why do you ask?"

He then walked in front of the boxes, clearly once again hiding the packages.

"Whatcha makin," Skylar asked.

"Drugs I MEAN MUGS.  YEAH MUGS. For the uhhhhhh," he paused once again, "art teacher."

"Oooookkkay," Lupita said, suspicious, "anyway," she tried to get a peek of the bags but saw nothing, "I was wondering if I could get extra credit."

"For the last time May Im not letting you get extra credit. You have a 99 percent. That is so high you're practically.....I shouldn't finish that sentence," Mr Phillips said as he fixed the collar of his lab coat, coughing awkwardly while doing so.

"Alrighty then," she responded, clearly suspicious, but went for the door anyway.

Following Lupita out, Skylar whispered, "I think our science teacher is a drug dealer."

"No shit Sherlock he literally had white powder on his hands."

Skylar then put her pointer finger to her lips signaling Lupita to quiet down.

***

Later that day, Skylar, Lynn, and Lupita all sat respectively in their homes waiting.

Waiting for what you may ask?

The letter.

The. Letter.

Since all of them were seniors, and all of them of course had planned to get a higher education, they planned for months even years to get their biggest dreams.

They worked on essays for scholarships and applications.

They went around the United States and the world to put on their resume.

They even missed out on senior prom to study for the SAT's.

Of course, being as different in their aspirations as they were, they each applied to different schools, believing education and their dreams were bigger then their friendship.

That's when it happened.

Each of them, unknowingly at the same time opened their white thin letters, each with a seal in the center.

No.

They said no.

And that, my readers, is when they lost it.