Chapter Five

Chapter Five

The clock in the hall chimed three, signaling another hour that had passed without any success. Vera had been awake most of the night trying to find some reference to the types of markings found in the cave, but she had yet to find anything helpful in the books in her father's study.

The constant interruptions from her father and Halsten inquiring about her health didn't help matters either. Couldn't a girl stay up one night researching without everyone assuming something was wrong?  Well, technically there was something wrong, but they didn't have to know about it. She would handle it on her own and prove that she wasn't an invalid who needed others to look out for her. She blew her hair out of her eyes and pulled down another book on ancient languages.

"There has to be a mention of it somewhere," she said to herself.

A snort came from the general direction of the window. "I wouldn't count on it."

Vera spun around, keeping her eyes on the window as she attempted to slip her way out of the room.

"Wait," the invisible voice called as she twisted the doorknob.

"Give me one reason why I should," she snapped.

The voice sighed. "We've gotten off to a bad start. I didn't mean to sound so harsh earlier."

"You've been nothing but belligerent and troublesome to me," she said. "I want nothing to do with you."

"Now, now, don't be so hasty, Vera. You and I could be good friends. I know what you want more than anything, and I could help you get it."

"I don't trust you. And I doubt you have any idea what I want – you know nothing about me, spirit."

"First, my name isn't spirit. You may call me Amias. Second, I know quite a bit about you and more than anything you want to be independent, respected, and even admired. I can help you with that," the voice said, growing louder as it neared where she was standing.

She shook her head. "No. Deals with otherworldly beings never end well for the human. I read: I know better than to agree to that."

Amias chuckled. "You are certainly clever for a human. But why can't we be friends? So long as you don't make a deal with me you should be fine, right? What do your books say about that?"

Vera eyed the spot where the voice came from suspiciously. "Why do you want to be friends with me? I thought you only spoke to me earlier because 'you were bored?'"

"As I said, I spoke harshly." His voice sounded sharp, impatient. "I didn't mean to insult you. I do get bored sometimes, and it would help me to have someone to talk to."

Vera rolled her eyes. "It would look a bit strange, don't you think? Me talking to empty air?"

"I could take on a different form, if you like. Take the guise of an archeologist like you," he replied.

"Why haven't you done that already?" she asked. "Wouldn't that have been easier?"

"Hardly. How would I have gotten into your house to speak to you if I wasn't invisible? That butler of yours, Halsten, is rather protective of you."

She laughed. "I suppose he is," she said. "Fine. I will try being friends with you.  But there will be rules."

Amias was silent for several moments before he replied, "What kinds of rules?"

"Well you're not allowed in my house without my permission, for one. And I would appreciate it if you didn't play any more tricks on me or my belongings. In fact, if you touch my books again I will kill you."

Vera jumped several inches in fright as Amias's booming laugh echoed through the room.

"Quiet!" she whisper shouted at him. "You're going to get me in trouble if someone hears you!"

"My apologies," he replied, still snickering. "But the thought of you trying to kill me is rather humorous – and highly unlikely."

Vera glared at the space where she assumed he was. "Nevertheless, if you touch my books again, I will find a way. Are we in agreement?"

"Yes, yes. Don't fret. I won't touch your precious books."

"Good, now get out," she ordered. "I'm going to bed."

Amias made a sound similar to a growl. "As you command, Vera."

The temperature in the room warmed slightly, and she assumed he had gone. Just to be certain, she waited several more moments before gathering all of her research and carrying it to her room. They may be "friends" now, but that didn't mean she would stop trying to figure out the markings – or what he really was.

 ...

Sorry it's so short. I didn't have time to edit a lot today because of work and I hate putting out something that isn't good. I know this still needs work, but it is the best I could do in the time I had. Comment and vote if you like! Thanks for reading!