Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

After Hael had left to give her space to think the room had become far too quiet. It was unsettling and made her anxious. In an attempt to channel her nervous energy into something positive Vera had been walking about the room and doing a few exercises.

As of yet no grand plan had presented itself in her mind and she was still unsure about how to best use her wishes to her advantage. It was difficult to focus when all she could think about was her friends and family being killed.  But time was running out.

She had already begun to notice the worried looks Hael had been sending her from the balcony, as if to say, 'Hurry. Time is almost up.'

The light from the window had begun to fade as well signifying night was approaching soon. Amias was terrifying enough during the day; she most certainly did not want to face him in the dark. Vera's stomach grumbled from hunger and reminded her of the fact she hadn't eaten in a couple of days. The hunger pains were distracting and that was not something she needed at the moment. Her instincts were telling her to use one of her wishes for food, but she refrained. That would be stupid and wasteful.

"Vera," Hael called to get her attention as she reentered the room, her brows furrowed and hands clasped tightly together. "You have to make a decision soon. We have very little time left. Even now I can feel Amias's presence just outside the range of my wards."

Vera tugged at her hair and shook her head. "But I still don't know what to do! Can't you help me?"

 "If you are asking me to help you escape, I will. But do not ask me to plot against my brother. Despite what he has done he is still my family and I will not harm him," Hael replied.

"He's a murderer! He deserves to be punished!" Vera shouted at her.

Hael's frown deepened. "That is true, but it does not change my decision. He is the only family I have left. I will not help you destroy him."

Suddenly the room began to quake and a low rumbling sound echoed around them.

"What is that?" Vera asked as she grabbed onto the bedpost for support.

"You must make a decision now!" Hael shouted as the rumbling became louder. "Amias is breaking through the wards I placed around the room!"

She closed her eyes and thought about the one thing she really wanted. Why she hadn't though of it before was a mystery, but perhaps she just needed the terror to help her figure it out.

"I wish we were some place safe where Amias couldn't get to us while I decide my other two wishes!" she cried, letting out a breath of relief when the rattling and rumbling stopped.

"I'm afraid your wish cannot be granted at this time since Hael is temporarily unavailable," Amias's voice declared from across the room.

Vera's eyes snapped open and she stumbled backward in fear as Amias advanced toward her.

"The game is over now, Vera," he said, pinning her between himself and the wall. "And you lost."

His red eyes bored into hers with such ferocity it made her knees tremble. She had reached the end. Her last chance at escape was now gone and she had lost all hope.

"I'll never marry you, not willingly," she told him, determined to tell him the truth even if he killed her. "And I'll never love you, not after the things you've done."

Tears welled in her eyes as she continued her speech, "If you had been nice to me from the beginning, or just showed some shred of decency I might have cared for you eventually. But after what you've done I will never forgive you.