Cold

"Afternoon, Stevie!" Bucky called as he walked through the doorway into Steve's house, shaking snow out of his hair. "Where are you?"

"In my room." Steve's voice floated out from the back of the house.

Bucky hung his jacket on the coat rack and walked into Steve's room. He found him sprawled on the floor covered in a blanket and surrounded by pencils and paper, rolling a piece of charcoal in his delicate hand.

"What are you drawing?" Bucky asked as he sank to the floor next to him.

Steve sighed. "That's the problem. I can't think of anything." He coughed and shifted slightly.

"What's wrong?"

"What?"

"You coughed."

Steve rolled his eyes. "It was just a cough. Nothing to be worried about. You know, you're worse than my ma sometimes."

"Hey, you can never be too careful."

Steve rubbed the charcoal on the paper a few times and groaned. "It's too cold to think."

Bucky frowned. "Really? It's actually pretty nice in here. And you're wearing a blanket. Are you sure you're feeling okay?" Without waiting for a response, he leaned forward and touched the back of his hand to Steve's forehead. "I knew it. You're burning up."

He stood up. "I'll get you some medicine."

He headed into the kitchen and opened up the cabinet where Ms. Rogers kept all her medicine. He took out a few tablets and poured a glass of water. Bucky had sort of become an expert on medicine from helping to take care of Steve through all his illnesses.

"Here," Bucky said as he walked back into Steve's room. Steve was sitting up now, the blanket wrapped tightly around him. "Take these."

Steve took the tablets and swallowed them, taking a drink from the glass of water. "Thanks, but you know you don't have to take care of me."

Bucky shook his head. "Of course I do. Your ma's not gonna be home for four more hours, at least. I'm not gonna leave you alone when you're sick."

Steve looked down, but Bucky knew him. He knew Steve was hiding a smile. Bucky tried to ignore the odd feeling in his chest.

"Are you still cold?"

Steve nodded.

Bucky sat next to Steve and pulled him into himself, wrapping the blanket around both of them and hugging Steve close.

"Better?"

Steve nodded again. He sighed and settled his cheek on Bucky's chest and closed his eyes.

Bucky took a deep breath and tried to steady his racing heart. He gently ran his hand through Steve's hair.

Steve's breathing began to even out. Once he was sure Steve was asleep, Bucky pressed a light kiss to his forehead.

"I love you, punk."

A/N: 6k reads?! I freaked out when I saw that. Once again, thank you so much for reading my story! I appreciate every single one of you so much.