Chapter 5: The sorting hat

Megan's pov:

We got off the train and a half-giant took us to a lake while the other years went on carriages. They were pulled by invisable aniamls. I heard about them before. I read about them in a book about mythical creatures. They are called Thestrals.

I've seen wild Thestrals before when we were passing a meadow on the train. I've seen alot of deaths to know why I see them. We all got onto the boats to get to Hogwarts. I was on a boat with Harry, Ron, Hermione, and a boy I haven't met before. I got bored since Harry, Ron, Hermione were talking to each other, so I desided to talk to him. "Hi, I'm Megan. Megan Black. And you are?" "N-Neville Longbottom." "Nice to meet you Neville." I smiled at him and he shyly smiled back. "Nice to meet you too, Megan." We talked about everything and everything. We laughed at some jokes too. I found out that he lives with his grandmother because his parents are in St. Mungo's Hospital. His poor parents were torchured by Death Eaters. The poor boy. I understand the situation he's in. He's very forgetful and skittish. He's kinda cute now that I think about it. "So Megan, where are you from?" "I'm from Forks, Washington in the USA." "Wow, that's so far away!" "Yea, when we found out that I was supposed to come to Hogwarts, we moved here. In the wizarding world." "Wow." I smiled as he was amazed.

When we got to land, I helped all my friends out of the boat, getting 'thank yous' from them. "You're welcome." I would say. We were then lead up to the castles' steps. We stopped at the front door and the half giant knocked. A few minutes later, an old women answered the big oak doors. "The 'irst years, ma'am." Before the lady answered, Neville shouted out "Trevor!" The woman stared at his a little annoyed. Neville quickly went to pick up his toad and walked up to stand beside me. Poor Neville. Then the lady said something. " Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here. Welcome to Hogwarts. The start-of-term will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family in Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend your free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Griffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn house points, while any rulebreaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarted yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." Wow. She talks too much. I saw her eyes linger for a moment on Neville cloak, which was fastened under his left ear, and on Ron's smudged nose. Haha. Hermione told Ron that he had dirt on his nose. I guess he didn't get it all off. I saw Harry nervously try to flatten his hair. I rolled my eyes at him. Then she starte talking again.

"I will return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly." After she left, Draco and his two goons walk up to us. "It's true then, what they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." I hear students whisper. "This is Crabbe and Goyle." He nods at his two thugs. "And I'm Malfoy. . . Draco Malfoy." I hear Ron snicker at his name. "Think my name's funny do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand me down robe? You must be a Weasley. Well soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. Don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." He extends his hand, waiting for Harry to shake his hand. "I think I can tell who the wrong sort are for myself, thanks." Harry said.

Draco glares at Harry. Then McGonagall returns and smacks Draco on the shoulder with paper. He retreats with one last glare. "We're ready for you now." She said. She leads all the first years through two large doors and into the Great Hall, where there are four long tables with many kids, as well as floating candles. The roof appeared to be the night sky. I read about that in a book called 'Hogwarts, a History'. Then Hermione spoke up. "It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: a History." she said.