Introduction - The Aftermath

Ethan collapses with a grimace as his gunshot wound throbs. Madison looks up at him as tears run down both cheeks. She ignores her tears and shuffles towards him with heavy sobs. Ethan unfolded onto his back, questioning how he made it up there. Madison pushes her shaky hands down on his wound, steadying herself with the pressure.
"You're going to be okay" she whispered repeatedly, as if he was so delicate, sound would penetrate right through him. Ethan's ears began to ring and the grey clouds became fuzzy. With his last breath of consciousness, he mouthed "Shaun" but no noise came out. Madison turned away and started screaming for help until she felt foolish for thinking someone would hear in such a deserted place. She hesitantly let go of Ethan and scrambled to her feet. She made her way to the abandoned warehouse control room, where Shelby had tried to pierce her with a long metal pole. She tears apart the place before realising a jacket, draped over the office chair. She digs into the pockets and finds a mobile phone. She smiles with relief, thinking that they had a chance after all. Her fingers, still shaking, dance urgently over the buttons.
"911 what's your emergency?"
"H-" she stopped herself from greetings "852 Theodore Roosevelt Road, a man has been shot, Ethan Mars has been shot, please get here I don't know how much time he has" Madison breaks down, her face crinkling with fear.
"Ma'am please stay calm, someone is on their way-"
"Please, we're on the roof. I-I-"
"Someone is on there way, are you with Mr Mars?"
"Ye-yeah"
"Okay, is he conscious?"
"N-no, he lost consciousness about 2-3 minutes ago? I think"
"Okay, ma'am, what I want you to do is to speak to him. Try and get a response, tell him to concentrate on your voice"
Madison nodded into the phone "E-Ethan? C-can you hear me? Please Ethan, can you hear me?" She swallowed back her tears as she touched his face. "Ethan it's Madison, please say something." She pauses, hopefully. Suddenly his lips began to move and a mumble escapes his lips. Madison's lips curve in relief.
"He's responsive, but please hurry."

The next thing they knew, they were bombarded with paramedics. One lead Madison away as a group huddled around Ethan. She wanted to stay with Ethan, but she knew that she had to be there for Shaun. She followed the paramedics down, still limping on her sprained ankle. She looked at Shaun, realising that he had fallen unconscious again. He was laid on a gurney. She approached him but was stopped by paramedics rushing him into the ambulance, urgency on their faces. She tries to run but her ankle was stubborn, losing her balance her hands, covered in Ethan's blood, hit the cold, jagged ground. Before she could comprehend what had happened, the ambulance had sped off, screeching its familiar sirens. A paramedic helped Madison up "I'm sorry, your son needs urgent attention." Madison opens her mouth to explain but settles with the hypothesis. She was too exhausted to argue.