Chapter 12: Gavin

Gavin woke first. He cast a long look over Elyn, unsure if he was dreaming and still buried deep in the dungeon's depths. He ran his fingers along her arm and she twitched a little, and he felt admiration flood him. He couldn't be dreaming.

He slipped out from under the bedding and turned to the new day. His memory felt foggy, but as sleepiness faded, he realized the events of yesterday weren't a dream, but reality. He was married to the beautiful woman sleeping in his bed, and they were decreed to rule Scotland until King James' kin were old enough to take over the throne. He couldn't believe it.

Gavin dressed himself and then stepped out onto the balcony that overlooked the courtyard. It was a different view than the one he was used to in Eilean Donan. Elyn yanked and rolled in the bed, taking a large bundle of sheets with her. Her naked body was partially exposed, and Gavin smiled to himself.

How lucky had he been to have met her? The very same woman he was destined to marry all those years ago? He rubbed his hands along the stone railing and inhaled the scent of the sea. It was a fresh feeling, and a change from waking up in the stony cold depths of the dungeon with nothing but the stale smoke to greet him. After some time, he climbed back onto the bed and tickled Elyn's bare back, slowly rousing her from her slumber. She moaned pleasurably and faced him, her weary eyes only just managing to stay open long enough to guide her lips to his.

He rose up at the sound of a knock on the door. He quickly crossed the room and cracked it, peering through the edge to see Barron standing there with the captain of the guard, who Gavin had discovered was named Alexander.

Alexander cleared his throat and tried to push the door open more, but Gavin held it firm. "Can I help ye?"

"We have two men we found in the stables, we need ye to decide a fitting punishment for them."

"Is this really necessary?" Gavin pleaded. "Canae Barron handle the honours?"

Alexander shook his head. "Normally, yes. But they say they traveled with Elyn, and demand to see ye."

Gavin sighed and glanced over his shoulder at Elyn, who had sat up from the noise. "Do ye know anything about this?"

"Aye... I thought maybe they had escaped. Gregary and Stewart, they helped me get here."

"Very well," Gavin said. He turned back to the cracked door. "I'll be down in a minute. Give me some time."

Alexander nodded gruffly and turned away. Barron gave Gavin an apologetic smile and followed. When they had disappeared from view, Gavin shut the door again.

"What do ye want me to do with them?" Gavin asked Elyn. He sat down on the bed and turned to her.

"They need a clan... They did... attack us at first. They were just common bandits. After I injured them, they turned into kittens."

"Funny. I never thought that much of bandits."

"They were banished from their clan. I hold Maxwell responsible, and I want them placed in our guard."

"Aye," Gavin said. "Ye donae have to plead with me, runag, ye are as much of a Lady as I am a Laird. Consider it done."

She hugged him and kissed his neck, and he ran his hand up her naked back. She kissed him again, and then dug her nails into his shoulders, pulling him back down to the bed. He laughed as she pulled his clothes off. "I am a Lady, aren't I?" Elyn smirked. "First order of the day... get those clothes off."

***

Down in the throne room, Gavin and Elyn took their seats at the end of the hallway. After conferring with the captain for a little while, Gregary and Stewart were brought in. Stewart still hobbled on his injured leg, but he looked a lot better than when Elyn left him. At least he wasn't worse off.