new short story

A room slowly came into focus, its sole occupant a young girl laying on a bed. Her breaths were automated but nontheless, she was alive in a sense. The usual cheer and animation was gone from her face; it was almost like a blank slate. She seemed to be a hollow shell of who she used to be, faded with lifelessness.

While the walls were white, the place seemed to be dark and dreary, like it had a heavy atmosphere. In the silence of the machines and bustle of the hospital, you could hear death creeping in slowly. Its approach was unstoppable, but barely held back with the coma she was plagued with.

She had lived life on the edge, as if she was racing against an unseen force. It was like she had a death wish, but it wasn't her reckless driving that put her in the hospital. Surprisingly, her personality was contradictory, being happy like sunshine and having depressing thoughts at different times. The soul behind her eyes that once gleamed so bright, was dull with the toil of the forced sleep.

Almost like a haze, her reality faded away and her consciousness created a world of its own. Slowly the girl opened her eyes to find herself in the place she often dreamed of. The crossroads of two paths, that represent two major decisions in her life.

It was a hard decision to make, but her mind was made up for her. Unconsciously, her feet began to wander to the side with the dark deep forest. It was so alluring and seemed more real than the other option, which was a flowery meadow.

The shadows stealthily followed her, as she went on her path. Eventually, her eyes got used to the lack of light and she forgot what the real world was like. With every rustling of the undergrowth, she would flinch at first, until ignorance and habit got the best of her.

They caught up to her, and in their monstrosity, hunted her down in the eery forest. She had forgotten what fear was until she saw them hot on her trail and ran for her life. Branches and stickers scratched her bare feet up and the trees seemed to reach out to her.

Her heart pounded with adrenaline, and she ignored the pain in her aching legs. Out of nowhere, she ran into a silvery white tree trunk and knocked herself out. Surely this was the end.

But before the darkness overwhelmed the girl, she was saved by another. His features seemed to match the forest with brown hair and eyes, but he smiled like the sun.

A/N: I can't believe this was like 442 words! It was just an idea stuck in my mind, until I changed it up with a plot twist. It was based off a Crossroads type poem I posted on Quotev. Hope y'all like it and sorry for not posting anything in months. Let me know what you think.