Prologue

Prologue

Every step that I took made it harder to breathe. The blazing hot sun and the ninety degree weather definitely was not helping my case at all. I was so out of shape. My aching body wanted nothing except for me to stop, to take a break, but there was no stopping now. I was so close, so close to reaching him.

I ignored the pounding in my head and the sweating trickling down my face and continued pushing myself. I inched closer and closer to him with every stride I took. He seemed to sense that I was catching up to him and sped up.

He rounded the corner, and I followed suit, right behind him as the school came into view in the distance. His neon basketball shorts and bright green shoes seemed to taunt me. He was so close, yet so far.

Using all of the remaining strength I had, I sprinted full speed ahead, knowing my body would definitely suffer the consequences later. But it would be worth it. I closed in the distance between us, slowly and painfully, and soon we were side by side. He picked up his pace, and so did I. I was not going to back down.

Neither one of us were showing signs of slowing down as we neared the school. We were almost there.

One hundred meters...

Fifty meters...

He pulled ahead slightly, and I tried to do so as well, but my legs did not permit me to. I knew instantly that I had lost.

We arrived onto the school campus and he ran ahead, beating me by mere seconds to the basketball courts where Coach Natanya was waiting. Unsurprisingly, we were the first ones there.

"Good job Miles and Katherine. Not bad for the first day," Coach praised, looking at us.

I smiled back, too busy gasping for air to say anything. Miles was no different. I grabbed my water bottle and practically chugged it, drinking almost all of its contents at once.

"I... almost... beat... you," I boasted to him, in between breaths.

"You wish, Jones. I was here at least ten seconds earlier then you," he retorted, smirking.

I scoffed. "Well you obviously don't know how to count to ten, then, because I was right behind you."

"Just face it: I will always be faster than you. The only reason you came so close to beating me is because I'm out of shape, while you have been training the whole summer."

I gave him a playful shove. "I have not been training! I'm as out of shape as you. You just don't want to lose to a girl."

He chuckled. "But anyway, nothing like a good five mile run to start up the cross country season, yeah? Easy, breezy."

I couldn't help myself from saying, "Beautiful."

A big smile spread across his face. "Katherine Jones, is today the day that you finally admit that I am beautiful?"

"In your wildest dreams will I ever call you beautiful, Miles, because everyone knows you are the furthest thing from it. Don't you know Covergirl?" That first bit was a lie, and we both knew it. He was with no doubt beautiful, from his golden blonde hair and sparkling green eyes to his lean, muscular body and tan skin. He was built to run, with his long legs and amazing stamina. His name was Miles, for god's sake, just like how Usain's last name was Bolt. And he sure could run miles, which is why he was the Boys Varsity Cross Country captain since sophomore year.

"Covergirl? What's Covergirl?" Miles asked.

I sighed. "Never mind."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a bright pink figure bobbing in the distance. Without looking any closer, I already knew that it was my best friend, Brooke. Brooke was the most girly girl I had ever met in my life. She loved the color pink, shopping, and all things beauty. Her platinum blond hair was usually styled in perfect curls, but right now it was straightened into a sleek ponytail. Her nails were always done to perfection and her makeup was done to perfection. She looked like she had stepped straight off of a magazine even after a five mile run. Today she was wearing bright pink Lululemon running shorts, a bright pink tank top, and bright pink Nike Free Runs with a pink Nike headband to match.

As she ran up to us, you could see how the run did indeed take a toll on her. She was shining with sweat, and her eyeliner was slightly smudged and she was panting. Nevertheless, she still had a big smile on her face.

"Kat!" She ran up to me and engulfed me in a huge hug. As her arms wrapped around me I could feel myself drowning in the heat emanating off her body and I immediately started sweating again.

"Ew, Brooke, get off! It's way too hot!"

She laughed. "I love you, too. You two are such try hards."

Miles smiled widely. "You just wish you were as fast as me."

"Ha! That's funny."

I shook my head, grinning. My two best friends were always bickering.

By now, the rest of the team was starting to trail in, one by one. Everyone was tired and panting, their sweat glistening under the sun's harsh glare. We were all out of shape from the summer.

"Alright everyone listen up," Coach Natanya said. "Since it is everyone's first day back, we will do some stretches and practice will be over. However, every day from now on, practice will get tougher and tougher to get everyone back into shape and into prime condition for the season. Is that clear?"

Everyone agreed, and we all got stretching.

***

"Mom! I'm home!" I hollered, after I let myself in the house.

"Kitchen!" she called out.

I walked toward the direction of her voice, and sure enough she was there in the kitchen, dressed professionally in her blouse and black dress pants, ready for work, sipping her coffee out of a mug. "Hey mom."

"Hi honey, how was practice?" she asked.

"Tiring. I'm really out of shape."

"Don't worry about it. Knowing you, you'll be back in shape in no time," she paused for a moment, pursing her lips. "Listen, sweetie, we need to talk." She looked worried.

Uh-oh. That rarely ended well, especially when she looked worried. "Can I shower first? I'm really sweaty and gross."

Mom glanced at the sleek, rose gold watch on her slim wrist. "Yes, of course, but try to make it fast because I have to go to work soon."

Ten minutes later, I dashed back down the stairs, fresh from the shower, clad in some comfy cotton shorts and a simple white T-shirt. "What did you want to talk about, Mom?"

"We should sit down."

I hesitated, before walking over to the table and taking a seat. Mom sat opposite of me before continuing. "I was offered a raise at work," she said.

"That's great Mom! I'm so happy for you!" Maybe I had misread the situation. There was only good news.

"But, there is a catch," she continued, "the job is in Miami. They want me to relocate."

Her words had taken me aback. I had clearly spoken too soon. I gaped at her for a moment before speaking. "So does this mean we're moving?"

All it took was the guilty look on her face, and I knew. I knew what she was going to say. Even so, I wasn't prepared for the small nod, confirming my worst fears. Confirming that we'd be moving, moving across the country, from Phoenix, the only place I had ever called home. I'd be leaving all my friends behind, my team behind, my coach behind. They were my second family and had been for three years already. And now I was forced to abandon them.

"Yes honey, we're moving."